No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small carafe. American Brilliant Period?  (Read 543 times)

Offline yulia

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • toronto, canada
Small carafe. American Brilliant Period?
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
hi!
I found this small decanter in the thrift store. it looks very nice and old. probably carafe for vinegar. no lid. may be American brilliant period? what do you think?
thank you for all your opinions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Small carafe. American Brilliant Period?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
hello Yulia.........     my initial thoughts are that it's possibly not brilliant cut.            The brilliant cut pieces from around the turn of the century are very much as the description says.........cut all over, usually including handles and feet, thus giving a brilliant effect.    However, no doubt your neighbouring countrymen will be better informed than me.
Will you let us know please the height..........it may be for liquied condiment, or alternatively for alcohol or even water. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
8 inches in height. quite heavy. and it's crystal.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
I would agree with Paul.  It's not what I think of as ABP (although you'll find plenty similar noted that way on eBay and such).  Just from the look I'd think made a little later in time and possibly not American at all.  At that size I'd call it a 'cruet' with a pedestal foot.  'cruet' may aid in your search.  And yes, it would have had a stopper. 
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
how old is it, what do you think?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
not always easy to provide an accurate idea of age yulia..........    utility/table items such as this can sometimes acquire considerable wear over not too long a period  -  this one seems to have a fair amount of wear.
Other people may have their own ideas, but I might suggest European and from the 1920 - 1950 period possibly.    The cutting isn't distinctive enough to imply some particular period or source, and the cut notches on the neck, whilst having a fairly long history, have been produced in the C20.                       Commonplace glass items like this have been produced in almost every country for a very long time, and in the absence of a backstamp (a makers name), finding an attribution is very unlikely.            Assume you have looked on the underside of the foot very carefully for a name??
Is it my eyes, or can I see the No. 26 on the neck right next to the top of the handle??           Matching Nos. were applied often on both the body and the stopper - this ensured that pieces with a good fit remained paired.           This may have been a table jug for claret or wine  -  without handles they are generally called decanters, and with handles then more usually jugs..........but there are always exceptions :)         

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
Paul S., thank you for such a detailed response!

there is no name or marks on the bottom, just age scratches. I think you are absolutely right.
unlikely it's ABP. but anyway I like it)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
Possibly of more interest to people on this side of the pond  -  States collectors are quite likely to be familiar with this information already, and included here only because of the subject heading, and to show what real ABP glass looks like.

This link was posted on the Board about a year ago by Anne (Mod.) and is a mine of information on the subject from The American Cut Glass Association, and this post seemed a suitable place to remind people of it's existence here.       
It doesn't at all change the conclusion or response for this particular piece, but might be a useful source for id should any ABP come up again in future.         
http://www.cutglass.org/

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand