No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal glasses - ID = Atlantis Crystal, Portugal  (Read 2347 times)

Offline yulia

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • toronto, canada
Crystal glasses - ID = Atlantis Crystal, Portugal
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
I bought crystal glasses. 6,75"H. the engraving "Atlantis'82 Gulotta" on the bottom of each glass.
Please, help, find out who made them,
thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Crystal glasses.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
Obviously Atlantis in 1982....  though who Gulotta was is another matter. It may be the name of the range...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
Re: Crystal glasses.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »
thank you!
I suddenly found what it is))
gulotta - the pattern)) :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
Re: Crystal glasses - ID = Atlantis Crystal, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »
thank you!

Offline vetraio50

• Members
Re: Crystal glasses - ID = Atlantis Crystal, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »
Hi!

I myself bought some champagne glasses this morning marked Atlantis 85 Gulotta here in Sydney, Australia.

The name Gulotta is familiar to because I have been collecting a set of ceramics designed by him called Chromatics.

Arzberg produced the original designs and later they were produced by Block China in Spain.

Here it gets a bit complicated.

"Gulotta" is Gerald D. Gulotta, an American designer who worked with Atlantis for many a year.

The Atlantis firm was known as Atlantis Crystal, Cristais de Alcobaca S.A., Portugal.
It was founded in 1944 under the name Crisal-Cristais de Alcobaca.
From 1952, Atlantis began to export glass articles to the US and England.
In 1972, the factory was transformed in order to produce crystal – the Atlantis Crystal, full-leaded and manually produced Atlantis Crystal was introduced into the American market. The business was then divided into two functional units: the crystals (produced in Alcobaca), and the glass, (produced in Marinha Grande).
In May 2001 it joined the Vista Alegre Group and became Vista Alegre Atlantis Group S.G.P.S., S.A..
These days they outsourcing for leading market competitors such as Waterford Crystal, Baccarat and Saint Louis.

Back to Gerald Gulotta.
He was one of a group of American designers to move away from US manufacturers for his designs.
He was born in 1921.
"Originally from Rockford, Illinois, Gerald Gulotta studied advertising art at the Academy of Applied Art in Chicago. After a tour of duty in the Army, Gulotta attended the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, studying design under the innovative design teacher, Alexander Kostellow. Kostellow, a seminal figure in industrial design education in America, had created an Experimental Design Laboratory at Pratt in 1952, based on a principle of close collaboration between design students and commercial production operations, a principle that would later be reflected in Gulotta's own innovations in applied design curriculum in Portugal (1974) and Guadalajara, Mexico (1976-1977). Gulotta began as an instructor at Pratt in 1955, originally taking over the Ceramics class after the retirement of Eva Zeisel, another formative figure in Gulotta's development as a practicing designer. In 1970, Gulotta was named Adjunct Professor of Industrial Design, a position he held until 1985. It was during his tenure as Adjunct Professor that Gulotta became engaged as a design education consultant abroad, contributing to foundational programs in Portugal (Industrial Design Workshop 1974), Guadalajara, Mexico (1976, 1977) and lecturing at several prominent Chinese universities at the behest of the China National Arts and Crafts Corporation (1982).

As a practicing designer, perhaps some of Gulotta's most striking early works were the sterling silver pieces he designed for manufacture by the Towle Silversmiths in the early 1950s, or his award winning sterling silver flatware entry for the International Design Competition Sterling Silver (1960). The initial phase of his career saw Gulotta making forays into small scale outdoor architectural structures (Children's Outdoor Playhouse and the Leisure Cube of 1957), fiberglass furniture designs, and, most indicative of his future course, his Lucent melamine dinnerware (1952) and ceramic glass cookware (1962) done for Raymond Loewy, Inc. Gulotta's rise to prominence came in the mid-1960s, where development of a number of highly successful porcelain dinnerware lines for Block China— España (1965), Transition (1967), Creation (1968), Hearthstone (1968)— served to solidify his reputation as an artist-designer with broad appeal in the commercial market. Perhaps Gulotta's most successful design line, and certainly his most recognized, was the Chromatics collection with Block China (1970). The "highly personal and sculptural" collection, as he described it, that included dinnerware, flatware and glassware components marketed in several complementary color combinations, was manufactured by Porzellanfabrik Arzberg in Germany. Representative examples of Chromatics pieces currently reside in the permanent collections of The Newark Museum, the Dallas Museum of Art and the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Gulotta continued to develop successful dinnerware lines for Block China, including Harmony (1983), Optics (1985) and Porto (1985). It was also during the 1980s that Gulotta began to develop designs for lead crystal and glass for production by Atlantis and Steuben, lines which he continued to advance through the 1990s. In 1987, at the invitation of the China National Arts and Crafts Corporation, Gulotta designed an exclusive collection of miniature stoneware teapots for the Violet Sand Factory in Yixing, China. Seven of the "Yixing teapots" designs were selected for limited edition manufacture, examples of which now reside in the permanent collection of the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. Other notable later period works by Gulotta include a line of giftware for Royal Doulton (1980), a series of sculptural ceramic bowls and vases with Ceramica São Bernardo in Portugal (1984-1988) and several striking flatware designs— Iona (1979), Eros (1994-1995) and Rondure (1996). In 2001, Gulotta designed the Floris porcelain dinnerware line for Tienshan, Inc. in China, and in 2006 his 26th Street line, also for Tienshan, appeared."
http://library.syr.edu/digital/guides/g/gulotta_g.htm

If you would like to see some of his designs check out this site:
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/artists/9806/Gerald_Gulotta

I have some of his cutlery too.
Made in Spain!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand