No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gold Greco on white glass  (Read 921 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Gold Greco on white glass
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:16 AM »
Just bought this white glass with gold Greco pattern and Masonic symbol. Is it Chance??????
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Gold Greco on white glass
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
Is it opal or opal-flashed glass? If so then it is possible. I never managed to find many examples, but according to Chance Expressions, p.48, in an Ideal Home exhibition catalogue: "Other designs soon to come will include White Greco on moss glass and in [Grecian] grey on pearl glass". However, that does not exclude an earlier or later development in relation to this pattern.

Somewhere, I do have (from  memory) a ruby-flashed Greco that also includes the Masonic symbol so it is a strong possibility.

There is also a 'wannabe' from Svend Jensen - see pp.94–95 that is gold Greco on white. The green glass tray on p.95 also features a Chance possibility - this may be the moss green that's quoted before, but it is not Greco.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
I forget to mention the tray is 5.5inches square which is big.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
That's the same size as the largest square tray. If you look at the Sandwich set then the three square trays are this size. Trouble is there are many other slumped glass makers all making similar products.

Another point is that I have still not managed to find out who supplied Svend Jensen (SJ), a distributor not maker, with its slumped glassware. The following eBay auction is also interesting:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230937667581

A SJ labelled tray but with champhered corners. The only maker I know who did this is Flamingo Halfweg, the Dutch/Benelux company (p.94), but the label clearly states Made in Denmark. Although it includes the Dutch salute 'Proost', this might not be terribly significant. However, it is known that Holmegaard did make slumped glass

Quote from: Nic
Holmegaards Glasværk. Per Lütken's work book indicates new designs for slumped glass production in 1950, 1955 and 1985/6

See this thread - also the last post in this thread by Nic. But would Holmegaard have copied the entire Greco design?

SJ sourced from many different makers, but I'm not sure about its slumped glass - see also this thread.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand