No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mazzega Chandelier?  (Read 942 times)

Offline CMason

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Identification
    • UK
Mazzega Chandelier?
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Hi there,

Hope this is on the correct forum, apologies if not.

I bought a house last year which the previous owners were very proud to have decorated 40yrs ago, and with delight told us "had not needed to be done again since". Whether or not it needed updating it is open to debate, however this has resulted in a couple of fab chandeliers being in the place. Having dug about on the internet I found the name Mazzega, Murano attributed to a few items that look very similar. Is this what they are, or are they repros, how would i tell? Thanks for any advice.

Craig

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Mazzega Chandelier?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board :)  I don't know the answer to your question but love the chandelier!
Hopefully Nic (Pinkspoons) will be along at some point and may be able to answer your questions.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »
welcome from me too  :)
- I'd certainly give this house-room!
(why did your house sellers leave it behind?)

I'm not up on lighting, Nic is absolutely the best person here for that, but looking at these, I'm veering more towards Germany than Italy. The design of the shades is not out incongruent with the great maker, Peill and Putzler and the fittings are a bit bauhaus - y.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »
Craig,

I think you were right about it being Mazzega, probably from the 50's/60's. I haven't seen this exact chandelier before, but I have seen Mazzega with that amber tinge combined with clear glass and similar metal fittings.   It's really hard to get information on chandeliers, particularly from Murano. It might be worth contacting I.V. Mazzega, as the company is still operating in Murano, as far as I know. They are almost definitely authentic.  I've not seen anybody trying to reproduce modernist chandeliers from Murano. They would still cost a fair bit to make. If you look at some of the high end re-sellers of similar chandeliers, you'll notice the prices for a piece like this are very high.

I think it's great and you're lucky to have it. I know mine will go with me wherever I go, or the kids will fight over who gets it.
David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
I also have a light fitting with a single globe that's very similar to this, so I will also be interested in the outcome. I was told mine was Nason, but I've no more information to confirm this, although a Carlo Nason was supposed to have designed for Mazzega (if you believe eBay, of course  :-X ).

Welcome to the GMB!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline CMason

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Identification
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the interest and information! I actually have a pair of these. Just trying to work out how to update the decor and keep these fitting in. If Pinkspoons is 'the main man' on this sort of stuff am I allowed to go to him direct, or are there rules against that? Also thanks for the tip that the factory may be able to help, I hadn't considered they may still be in operation and have records. Off to Google them now.

Craig

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26:31 PM »
This is Nic's website address, although it's totally blank for me ATM. Not sure what the problem is with it.

http://www.zeitgeist-i.com
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
I rebranded last year, David.  ;D

I've never been able to pin down a maker for these shades - I've got three of them waiting for a good 'project' to be used in.

The shades are quite common in the UK, but seem to pop up on all manner of light fittings from different firms across Europe (I've seen them at fairs from dealers bringing stock over from Spain, Italy and Germany), and on lamps made between the mid 1970s through to perhaps the early 1990s judging from cabling and different safety labels.

This makes me think that they might be from somewhere much more inclined towards mass-production than Murano, and sold to many makers or distributors of metal lighting as generic interchangeable shades.

But they're still very cool shades!  8)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »
I rebranded last year, David.  ;D

And I must compliment you on a VERY nice rebrand! :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Ta!  :)

I forgot to mention, I've seen a few of these shades attached to lamps distributed in the UK by Där Lighting, who have been around since c.1980.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand