No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th century Lilac opaline glass lamp and pics of opaline glass c1840-1870 ish  (Read 514 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It's really quite rare to find lilac opaline glass.  I've been hunting for a piece, but it also had to have white enamelling on it,  to fit in with my collection :)
You often find blue, green, white or black opaline, and sometimes clambroth or a grey or taupe colour.  Rarely to be seen are lilac, pink or yellow.  And it's not very often at all that you find opaline enamelled with only white enamel.

This is an oil lamp I bought yesterday. 
The base is a lavender colour opaline and the font is more a lilac colour.  The enamelling is white leaves and flowers and it's Bohemian.

The colours are gorgeous. It's possibly a marriage because of the difference in colours, or it may be the the shade might have originally been a match for the base with the font being a contrasting lilac.  If it is a marriage I suspect it would have been done very early on in it's life because finding any lilac opaline glass is rare, never mind a font to match a base on an oil lamp. It's also possible that 'matching' exactly wasn't always worried about when these were originally made, so it may have left the maker like this I guess.

Both font and base glow red when held up to the sun :) - my pic's not that great but you can see the glow on the left hand side.  It also shows up the transparency of the glass, which can't be seen when photographing it from the front because both pieces are 'closed' unlike a vase which would be open at the top to let  light through.
The glass is actually very transparent in reality - you can see in the next pics that you are able to read a newspaper headline through it.
It fits perfectly into my small  19th century opaline glass collection  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Great find m,something I must add to our collection,when I find one, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Wow! You must be delighted to have found it! Good job - it is lovely but I'm sure the photos don't do it justice. :-)
Nancy

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Lovely display, m!

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks all :)
I'm not being very 'glassy' at the moment, but have picked up a few bits and pieces over the last month or so. 
Wolkenreb, it's very hard to photograph because of the shape so the colour doesn't come across well.  And again, it's beautiful fine old glass but because it's a 'closed' piece you don't get to see the colours in the glass as no light passes through it.  I'm just delighted to have found it though as I was beginning to despair I'd ever find a piece to fit in that colour.

I'd love to have this piece though :)
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53466.msg303506.html#msg303506

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand