No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: list of artists marks and signatures  (Read 12467 times)

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: list of artists marks and signatures
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »
paperweight makers are in the 1000's. I have lists of several hundred that do not include any of the major factories. and there are many factories that made them as well. Many were never signed and the signature canes were only used by a few that had the capacity to make good murine cane. Lampworkers have exploded over the last 60 years and there are many. Studios have opened and closed like people changing their socks. I know of a few hundred different individuals who have taken classes at my studio that made paperweights and signed them. IN the US there are 100's of little studios and who knows how many have worked for these and made paperweights. '
Needless to say, some are quality and some are not so quality.
I have a list of several hundred from the US that I put together for a presentation I gave to the Indiana paperweight  collector's Assoc. last April. It, by no means, even scratches the surface of what has been produced.  Documenting even just your own collection, if it is very big, is an endless labor of love.
This same things holds true for art glass marbles as well.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »
Gary McClanahan published a newsletter "The Printy" up to about 2001.  Together the issues had a list of paperweight makers organized A to Z starting with A in the first issue.  Although the list is incomplete, the newsletter often had pictures of weights by some of the artists and also information about the years they worked, the artist's mark, and the factories they were associated with.  I still use The Printy as a starting point when I can't identify a signature. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline CML

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Modern Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
LOL!! I said I was new at this. I just did not know to what extent my ignorance in this matter went. I appreciate everyone's comments and will now stop looking for that "unpublished" book of "Paperweight Marks and Signatures". That's right I actually thought there was a book somewhere that I had missed with ALL names listed.

I do have "the Dictionary of Paperweight Canes"--Now I know the road ends there.

Thanks for the replies.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »
Hi

'Up to a point, Lord Copper.'  ;D

The signature on the weight below is reasonably legible, and that was made with a Dremel style engraver, by an amateur.

Alan

Looks like Han Thornken to me........

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand