No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have I deciphered my Orrefors vase correctly?  (Read 477 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Have I deciphered my Orrefors vase correctly?
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Hi All,

I found this wee vase at the weekend, its a small Orrefors vase marked PA 3637/2. I have, using the net, found out the number 3637 refers to 1957. Can anyone help with the PA and what the /2 means?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers, David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Have I deciphered my Orrefors vase correctly?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
Hello David  -  not sure that this will help much, but some information from Vigier & Pina - 'Smoke and Ice'.........

According to the book, production Nos. consist of 3 to 5 digits, the last one being separated by a 'slash' , sometimes.         So I'd suggest your figure 2 simply forms part of the production No. which in full reads  3637/2  -  and the 2 doesn't have any other particular significance.

Again, looking at the book, regret I can't see any pre 1970 designer for whom there was a code of PA.        Are you sure this is in fact what the letters are?             I get the impression it's not too difficult to mis-read some of these hand scratched details. 

Can say that this factory used the letter code A for cut glass  -  and this looks to be cut - but not sure from the screen.         If it is cut, then the A might refer to that fact, leaving just the P to resolve, and the only pre 1970 designer for they used the letter P, seems to have been Palmquist, who was with the factory until 1971, apparently.

I might just have this all wrong, but am sure there are people here who are good at Scandi, and hopefully will have the answer for you :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
P is Sven Palmqvist, A is cut glass.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
In line with David's date of 1957, Palmquist used the letter code P  -  with SP being used post 1970.

Of course, if I actually looked at the books properly..............

This is Palmquist's 'Teardrop Vase, produced between 1955 and 1960, showing a design of a deeply cut fern leaf.            It's showing on page 95 of said book, and it's a valuable piece of glass (according to the book).          Should stand at 9.5".

Very nice find David  -  I'm Mr. very green ;)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
This design always makes me think of All Blacks rugby (the fern). Some of the prices in that book can be a bit odd though, putting values on things is so tricky.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
sorry John, wasn't trying to ignore you, just drawing attention to the different letters for different dates.          Am sure you know lot more than me about Scandi glass. :)
All we need now is for Ivo to come along and tell us all the value as quoted in the book ;) ;)   -   many of which no doubt have fallen since publication  -  although would imagine this one to still have some reasonable worth. :)   

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Hi and Thanks for all the quick info guys, all of which points to it being the vase you mention Paul, it is indeed a deep cut, fern leaf design ( just like the All Blacks top John )....BUT.. its only a puny 4.25" tall!!!! Maybe not quite as valuable as the one shown in your book. It has been a week where the glass gods have looked down on me. Thanks again for the info, it all makes perfect sense now ( except for the /2!! )
cheers, David

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
The /2 might refer to vase, the bowl with this design shown in said book has the same pattern number but it is /4. 

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
I will go with that John ;D, I can now sleep soundly with no niggling /2 questions to annoy me.

Cheers, D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand