No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info Needed on Very Large Scavo? Bowl  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Alton11

• Members
Info Needed on Very Large Scavo? Bowl
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
Very big piece at 15 inches tall and about 48 inches around. Bottom is signed Gino Cenedese. I know little to nothing about italian glass so any info is greatly appreciated. Was wondering if this is considered scavo glass and is it a vase or large bowl. Have seen various pieces signed Cenedese, Murano Cenedese, and this piece..Gino Cenedese. Was wondering if this size and/or specific maker make it more or less valuable than other pieces signed just Cenedese. Thnx for looking.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Info Needed on Very Large Scavo? Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »
Alton, I have seen these type pieces called orb vases or ball vases. The finish is scavo. Your vase looks like it had an extra step to smooth the finish. Is it iridized? I like the finish of your vase better than I like most scavo finishes. The whole designer name, rather than just the company name, would give the piece a financial advantage. It would have given more of an advantage in the old days when there were fewer Cenedese pieces on the market. The size is the biggest plus. Much work went into your vase. It is a nice one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »
not sure how to tell if iridized....it just has alot of copper and gold dust/flakes? in it. it is very rough to the touch, like sandpaper.
Any ideas as to worth?...I know this is subjective, but I paid $50( good deal i presume ) and really have not got an idea of price range for value. thnx

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »
It is probably the metal flake and not iridescence that I see. I don't know the value of the vase. f you paid $50 for such a large, carefully crafted vase, you did well.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »
If I recall correctly, thick and iridised scavo on black glass was introduced as a colourway c.1983. Pretty sure it's an Antonio Da Ros design - although it's hard to say for certain as Cenedese reproduced quite a few old Seguso Vetri d'Arte designs (including quite a lot of scavo) in their own colours after they acquired SVdA's catalogue in the 1990s.

And from what I understand, the full 'Gino Cenedese' signature (Gino died in 1973, so the signature doesn't refer to the designer, just the company that survived him) was used on items destined for galleries, exhibitions, etc., occasionally twinned with the designer's initials (A.D.R. for Antonio Da Ros, for example).

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:36 PM »
Thanks for the info/education. I think it is going to be hard to evaluate worth$. Guess I will continue search for comparables, thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand