No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Overshot spiral ribbed multicolour vase -- Bohemian?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Overshot spiral ribbed multicolour vase -- Bohemian?
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
Spiral ribbed vase made of multicolour streaked glass, surface "overshot" (I do hope this is the right expression for the miniature clear glass frit covering the whole vase?).
18.5 cm tall, polished and bevelled rim.

Reminds me a little of some Kralik "Overshot" vases I have seen -- e.g. >> this one and >> this one.
edit: and a quite similarly coloured one on CW: >> Link

But my humble internet research showed that this decoration was made almost anywhere...

Thanks for any help regarding maker and age!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Overshot spiral ribbed multicolour vase -- Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
It's lovely Michael :)
I love the design,  the way the colour swirls to the right and the ribbed mold swirls to the left and then the overshot on top of all that.
I've been through all my books and bookmarked sites trying to match the shape - have you thought possibly also Harrach?  The shape just made me think it could also be a contender as well as Kralik, but I can't now find any shape to match  ::)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Thank you so much for your thoughts, m!

You are right that the straight neck reminds of several Harrach designs, but I couldn't find a match either (nor any multicoloured overshot pieces attributed to them).
On the other hand I looked at every possible Kralik vase to find a shape match, but to no avail...

What I found is this interesting thread on the board with a vase bearing a lot of similarities (ribbed mould, swirling multicolour pattern, overshot decor) to mine >> http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31617.0.html
Both Harrach and Kralik are mentioned there as a possible maker, but no final conclusion...

And I thought that I finally found a piece of "Bohemian" glass which could be easily identified ;D

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
well I'm probably totally wrong, but the one you just linked to above is whispering possibly Welz  to me :)
I'm going to go and look up MOP and Satin Airtrap as I wonder whether that's where I might have seen a similar shape.

Also many of the ones I looked at the ribs all swirl to the right - then after your post above, I looked up these (see link and scroll down for the 5 ribbed trophy vases in a row) and they have the colours spatters swirling slightly to the right but the ribs swirling to the left as per your vase?
Just a thought :)....
http://www.kralik-glass.com/welzresearchhoneycomb.html
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
Oh, very interesting, thanks!
(And great research by Craig as usual)

You are absolutely right about the swirling of the decor and ribs in the pieces you mentioned. And the swirling/streaking of the colours as well as the colours themselves are rather similar to mine, too >> see this pic.
The very simple shape of my vase is quite different, though.

Searching for "Welz overshot" doesn't come up with much, but I guess this doesn't exclude that overshot may have been made by them...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
mm, those colours on the Welz vases are remarkably similar to your vase aren't they?  I copied your pic onto a blank page and the pics of those vases next to it.... they 'appear' to be the same.

I would guess that so far the research on Welz has not included any overshot and that anything overshot is currently attributed as Bohemian or Kralik etc, so the pieces will not show up as 'Welz' on searches....if indeed Welz did make overshot glass.  And I could be wrong lol, but worth investigating.
Perhaps it might be worth drawing Craig's attention to the similarity in decor colours?  just for future reference anyway, you never know what might come of his research and every clue helps.
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks again! :)

I wrote Craig to point him to this thread, maybe he can shed some more light on this piece if he finds the time...

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:01:58 PM »
This is a very interesting piece of glass for sure!!  In some ways it reminds me of Kralik overshot pieces. In some ways it reminds me of Welz examples, but I have not really seen much overshot by them at this point. Lastly, the style of frit on the surface of this does not remind me of either company. Generally they have what I would refer to as kind of "sugar frit:, which simply means that it is kind of granular in nature.

That said, the frit on this reminds me more of larger irregular applications that have been re-fired to kind of smooth the surface a little more. It is similar in style, although a little more dense than an overshot piece I own in pink, which is in an Art Nouveau mount.  That piece was initially attributed to Kralik by Alfredo, but I later changed the attribution to Rindskopf when I saw the same mount with a Rindskopf Papillon example in the same mount.  Still not sure that is 100% correct though....  but I think not Kralik for sure. This style of frit is far less common.

The ribbing on this is reminiscent of the ribbing on some of the trophy pieces by Welz, although at this point without additional evidence I would be hesitant to state Welz for this piece....

I am very interested in seeing a shot of the mouth of the vase, which generally allows the true color combination of the ground to show through.... It is that way with the Kralik overshot and also glue chip decors.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »
Craig, thank you so much (once again!) :D

I made some quick shots of the rim showing the colours of the vase (there is quite some pink in it which is not really visible in the previous pics).
Plus a pic showing the vase backlit, and another close-up of the colours and the "overshot" (if it is still the right expression).

The green streaks are milky opaque in reflecting light, but become translucent with light from behind.

This vase is changing its colouration almost like a chameleon...

Very grateful for any further info,

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Unfortunately, I can not really add anything else at this point....  I find this piece quite fascinating though....  very nice find....  I love pieces like this that mix such unique techniques....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand