No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Bowl RD 684000. ID = Holborn glass works ltd  (Read 2736 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: Glass Bowl RD 684000. ID = Holborn glass works ltd
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
So, a little update on Holborn Glass Works Ltd.

It seems that 70 King Street was split into a shop at ground level and business chambers upstairs.  This seems to be given as the business address of Holborn Glassworks, however their works address was the old Edward Moore & Co (Tyne Flint) Glass Works on West Holborn.

The company was incorporated in 1920, however they voluntarily liquidated the business in June 1922.

It appears that they only registered one design (class 3 anyway), which was number 684000.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:26:02 PM »
Hmmm that's interesting, as according to Grace's Guide Edward Moore closed in 1922 as well.  https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Edward_Moore_and_Co

There's a book reference given too Lindsey that might be worth a check up, perhaps a local library will have it?
"Lost Industries of the Tyne" by Alan Morgan, Ken Smith and Tom Yellowley. Published 2013. ISBN 978 1 85795 216 2

Oh and some interesting photos of the glassworks here too https://www.southtynesidehistory.co.uk/archive/industry/glass-works?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 11:55:53 PM »
Yes I have that book.  They state Edward Moore & company kept their business going until 1922 which isn't entirely correct.  ;)  The glassworks was operational until 1922 but not by Edward Moore & Co Ltd.

Depending on which book you read, you get different dates, so I just went back to the original sources to clear things up.

I've attached a clipping from the London Gazette, 2nd May 1913.  ;D

I also have the liquidation details from the London Gazette for Holborn Glass Works, and they state an Extraordinary General Meeting was held at the Works of the company, West Holborn, South Shields.  (Which was the address of the old Moores glassworks)  That meeting was held 7th June 1922.

The names given in the liquidation notice match the names given in a paper called "Rise & Fall of the Glass Industry in South Shields" published by the South Shields Archaeological & Historical Society in 1968. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand