No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Old Glass Oil Lamp/ Chamber stick ? - Further Thoughts Required  (Read 716 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hoping someone may be able to help throw some light on this mystery object.

It looks like an old glass chamberstick or some kind of oil lamp. Whilst the centre looks like it may or could hold a candle, interestingly, there is a small whole underneath which leads to a central reservoir. Furthermore, instead of having a prunt at the back just in front of the handle, there is instead a small hole, which enters into the small internal reservoir. There are also what look like black heat mark deposits inside of the hole.

Plenty of wear to the underside. Measures 5 inches tall and weighs 710 grams. Unfortunately slightly damaged.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Mystery Old Glass Oil Lamp/ Chamber stick ? - Further Thoughts Required
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Back in February 2013 I posted a topic about an early pressed glass night lamp from a design registered by Jonas Defries, London, on 26 June 1846:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51380.0.html

Basically, there was a glass reservoir for some kind of flammable lamp oil which fed a wick contained in a tube or sleeve; when lit, the oil in the wick burned with a bright flame and the flame continued to burn as long as there was sufficient oil in the reservoir to feed it. So, an unsophisticated miniature version of an oil lamp to replace a candle chamberstick.

What I suspect is that this is a blown glass variant on the Defries night lamp, though what the purpose is of the hole facing the handle I have no idea. A shame that there is no registration mark  to provide more clues.

Incidentally, the design representation for the Defries night lamp did not include any kind of glass chimney, but I suppose your blown glass piece could originally have had one.

Fred

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Mystery Old Glass Oil Lamp/ Chamber stick ? - Further Thoughts Required
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »
Many thanks Fred, very interesting indeed. I must have missed your original post in January regrading your Jonas Defries night lamp.

Looking at mine close up, I think someone may have previously placed a candle in the glass sleeve of mine, probably as it still makes a reasonably functional item in that respect, however, in terms of trying to ascertain its original function this looks like it was a bit of red herring. The concept of some form of insert or wick holder, within the sleeve which supports the wick above the fuel chamber makes complete sense.

In terms of the hole at the back, this is still a bit of mystery, there certainly appears to have been some considerable heat around the hole, looking at the black deposits inside. Hopefully, over time I may come across another example with this similar feature. I do wonder if this possibly may have had some form of plug.

Thanks again for all of the info, its nice to now know more about the item. All I need now is to wait for the next power shortage.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand