No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles and Tate yellow opalescent glass small swan - rd impressed back to front  (Read 2977 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
aah, they have such pretty faces don't they?  The white opalescent is also beautiful.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you m!
Yes, the detail is really lovely.

I was looking for a nice piece of opalescent glass for my collection for quite some time now; but as a Barolac vase just doesn't come my way, I decided to get this nice fellow :)

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
The Rd and number within a rectangle on the outside bottom of such Swans would be imparted by the bottom plate of the mould during the pressing process (such in raised characters on the inside bottom of a pressed item would be imparted by the plunger). The Rd info. could be on the bottom plate from the first time the mould is used, but it's a simple matter to add it to the bottom plate later on if need be. And, it's possible that there could be two or more different bottom plates. Given the rectangle and the even line of numbers, I'd suspect this was chipped by a skilled mould maker, not done with a die stamp.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand