No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old blue glass decanter  (Read 646 times)

Offline yulia

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • toronto, canada
old blue glass decanter
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
hi! I need your help!
I saw this interesting decanter, absolutely no information.
may be European?
height is more than 31" with lid.
it's legs made from glass. gilding.
maybe someone has seen something like this and knows from what country such a decanter?
thank you for any info!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
Re: old blue glass decanter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »
any ideas? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:15:51 AM »
Some idea, yes - but not a lot. The shape of the stopper points at Bohemia and so does the garish gold work. However, this does not answer the question when. Depending on the feel of the piece it could be anytime between 1830 and 1970, so rather a long time. And I also would not be surprised if it is of American manufacture: many Bohemian techniques were used and shapes copied, expecially when making barber bottles. I think this uncertainty ensured that nobody has answered your query - so far. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »
There's a huge amount of enamelling missing from your bottle as well as gilding on the body of the bottle as well.  I think this detracts from trying to 'see' or imagine how it would look had it all been intact.

It seems to have u shaped drapes of enamelled decor around the body as well as very worn off gilding.  There are little dots of white enamel that would have been decorative bands as well.

Harrach were very fond of their three feet and did do shell type gilded versions as well.  It is the type of thing they would have made.
Is it possible to have a good picture of the neck towards the top (side on shape of the neck) and another of the rim of the bottle please, as well as one of the base?

The only observation I would make is that the gilded bands look very bright/hard and the neck and rim shape looks a bit not Bohemian somehow so I'm not really sure :-\   Maybe it's more recent than I imagine or something ?
thanks
m

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:24 AM »
Some idea, yes - but not a lot. The shape of the stopper points at Bohemia and so does the garish gold work. However, this does not answer the question when. Depending on the feel of the piece it could be anytime between 1830 and 1970, so rather a long time. And I also would not be surprised if it is of American manufacture: many Bohemian techniques were used and shapes copied, expecially when making barber bottles. I think this uncertainty ensured that nobody has answered your query - so far.

thank you, Ivo!
I think, bohemia.. and probably 20-30-th of last century.

Offline yulia

• Members
    • toronto, canada
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
There's a huge amount of enamelling missing from your bottle as well as gilding on the body of the bottle as well.  I think this detracts from trying to 'see' or imagine how it would look had it all been intact.

It seems to have u shaped drapes of enamelled decor around the body as well as very worn off gilding.  There are little dots of white enamel that would have been decorative bands as well.

Harrach were very fond of their three feet and did do shell type gilded versions as well.  It is the type of thing they would have made.
Is it possible to have a good picture of the neck towards the top (side on shape of the neck) and another of the rim of the bottle please, as well as one of the base?

The only observation I would make is that the gilded bands look very bright/hard and the neck and rim shape looks a bit not Bohemian somehow so I'm not really sure :-\   Maybe it's more recent than I imagine or something ?
thanks
m

thank you, Flying free!

unfortunately I can't make better photos, I don't have this bottle at home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand