No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Bohemian but who?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Blue Bohemian but who?
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Last one for the day I promise. It's 210mm high. This I have down as Bohemian, possibly around 1960 and possibly Novy Bor. Never seen another exactly the same though, although there was one a while back on ebay that just had the lens bits, but not the cut lines. Have also seen the odd Russian vase a bit like it (there's one on the GMB as we speak).

I have seen one that was much bigger in this colbolt blue colour and a different shape with lenses, but they were poor quality - I presume they are acid etched in some way. The lens idea does seem to have been around for a long time in world of Bohemia, in dark red and colbolt blue. I bought this from a glass dealer who was unable to identify it. Any ideas of a positive ID?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
Re: Blue Bohemian but who?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
It looks very like the Irena glass vase that Questglass has on here.  Look for "futuristic" in the message board.  Does it have a name on the base?

Santa

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Re: Blue Bohemian but who?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Thanks for reply, the 'Russian one' I was refering to is in fact the Irena vase which seems to be Polish not Russian. Yes I'd agree there certainly is a similar look to it, mine has heavy thick walls like the Irena vase. It's pretty good quality and a lovely deep blue. No writing on the bottom of mine I'm afraid (I wish) but here's a picture anyway.

The flat, outer edge that the vase stands on is smoothly ground and has some wear scratches on it which I'd think indicate a bit of age. Interesting to look at the Irena website - I reckon I've seen a few of the blue/dark red cut/coloured vases for sale at various fairs. Often wondered how old they are when they look new!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand