No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What Is This? Large Vase, Multi Colored, Gold Sheen, Clear Coating, Italian?  (Read 656 times)

Offline corinnedavid

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian Glass
    • USA
Hello - Thank you in advance for your expertise. 

It's a large vase at 12 inches tall, heavy, with pulled feather design, gold underneath the colored glass, and layer of clear glass on top.  Ground bottom, no markings.  Maybe Italian?

Thank you, Corinne in California

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline corinnedavid

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • USA
Another pic...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Can we have a picture of the base please

Offline corinnedavid

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • USA
Here's a picture of the base.  Thank you!  Corinne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
That base looks matte rather than shiny, so my vote is for Chinese

Offline corinnedavid

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • USA
Thank you for your expertise.  I traded a bottle of white wine for an assortment of vases - thought this one vase might have some value.  I am interested in the gold underlay in this vase, which looks very similar to some of my authentic Murano pieces.  But it's much heavier and not as finely made.  Any other tips on identifying the Chinese vs. Italian glassware? 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Much of the Chinese produced wares I see offered for sale here are large decorative items, they are usually thick walled and that combined with their large size makes them heavy. The decoration is usually quite colourful, almost brash and fairly crudely executed, especially when compared to high quality Murano wares.

I see these Chinese products everywhere I go to buy glass - antique centres, auctions and fairs. The general quality appears to be improving over time though design is usually fairly generic, some of it is quite nice and cheerful.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
If it's overlarge, slightly unbalanced, has an unpolished base, general lack of finesse in the construction and design, I would think twice (at least) before I bought it. If it's labelled Murano by the seller, be sure you know it is. Don't rely on ebay for attributions. If you hope to make a profit it from it, be pretty sure you know what it is before you buy it. otherwise buy it to enjoy. Study books and reliable websites.

I can't see any gold, but what I expect you can see is copper aventurine. This is used in both Chinese and Italian glass, but I have yet to see real gold in Chinese glass, though it is common as a fine powder or foil in Italian glass.

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
Hi there

I'm in California as well.  The thing I would do as well as books and internet is get yourself to TJMaxx and places like that, that sell the Chinese stuff, look closely at it, heave it up and down and compare with the real thing.  I don't think I've ever made a mistake and won't buy anything if there is any reason it might be Chinese.  Murano is tough to find in thrift stores here but can be done.  There is a lot of Czech though. 

Here's hoping you're not in NorCal!!!

Santa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand