No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could anyone help identify my glass lamp shade.  (Read 796 times)

Offline Muriel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • Tyne and Wear UK
Could anyone help identify my glass lamp shade.
« on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
I inherited from my Aunts attic a beautiful frosted glass bowl attached via three chains.  The bowl has three mermaids and three dolphins raised with a background pattern.  There is also a reg no. 849494 but no name as to who made the light fitting.  I found a post earlier before registering on the site that it may be by the maker Jobling.  It is very heavy.

This light fitting has proud position in our hall and has done for many years.  It would be lovely to have some history of who made it, where, and what year or anything.  I have searched for a while to find one but only saw one on here. Then lost the post!

If anyone can help I would be grateful.  Will post photo's later.

Thank you in advance Muriel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Could anyone help identify my glass lamp shade.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »
Hello Muriel, and welcome to the GMB.

Your lighting bowl is indeed Jobling  -  a design that was first Registered on 3rd December 1946, and although you haven't attached a picture, there is a photograph in the Jobling book  -  it's a very attractive item.           
Many of the Jobling designs are marked with the Rd. No., similar to yours.          Do the mermaids and dolphins have an opalescent appearance (a transluscent milky look), or are they simply plain frosted glass?
I would imagine this is not a common piece  -  Jobling is collected, and we have people here who I hope will give you more information soon. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
meant to add that your piece is called 'Mermaid Lighting Bowl' - and it might have been this link.......
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52782.msg299650.html#msg299650  ....   that you'd seen before.       Think yours is the first picture.

Offline Muriel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • Tyne and Wear UK
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »
Hello Paul,

The entire glass shade is opaque.  I have just cleaned it and hung it back in the hall. It is wonderful to find information about this item.

Thank you for replying

Muriel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand