No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Willow Hooped dilema  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Whitefriars Willow Hooped dilema
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Bought this at auction a while ago and it’s in absolutely perfect condition, apart from a rather sizeable impact chip on the bottom rim. What a shame that is (it wasn’t me by the way - I bought it like this). Doesn’t affect the viewing enjoyment of the vase in any way but of course, but I know it’s there - and now so does everybody else. Obviously this affects the monetary value of the vase, but then I’m not entirey clear as to what effect a repair would do to the value of the vase, especially if an unscrupulous future owner neglected to mention its presence. I’m guessing if it was done well it would be hard to spot.

My question is, could it be fixed? Or indeed should it be fixed. The chip couldn’t be ground away due to the size of it and its position, so it could only be filled-in (by some very clever method not entirely obvious to me at this point) and then polished back. Does anybody know of any satisfactory method of doing this and if so, who could do it?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Whitefriars Willow Hooped dilema
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
It could be polished back - but that would affect the overall shape. There is no way of filling glass to be un-noticable.  ;D
Best just to put the chip to the back and forget it. I hope you paid a proper price, given the damage, just enjoy it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
Hmm well, slightly less than half of what you might expect for a perfect one. To be honest I did look at it before-hand, mainly to see what a real Hooped looked like, but amazingly I failed to notice the damage! I didn't think I'd be buying it - imagine my surprise. You learn by your mistakes I believe. I do enjoy it, but I have to admit that if I'd noticed the damage I wouldn't have bought it, and there lies a lesson I think.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
Unbelievable what this guy can do regarding glass repair and restoration.

http://www.yell.com/biz/basil-loveridge-glass-restoration-brackley-3800657/

I have seen pieces before and after and believe me he is good. Well worth mailing him a photo of the chip.

Chris

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:21:28 PM »
Or if you're closer to Stourbridge, then consider Richard Lamming of Redhouse Glass Crafts who is an absolute wizard.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »
Ok - thanks for the advice everyone, I will consider these options...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand