No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stained glass covered dish  (Read 486 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Stained glass covered dish
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
I saw this and had to have it, but I have no clue as to origin.  It has a ground out and finely polished pontil.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for looking

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: Stained glass covered dish
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:06 PM »
I received a suggestion on the Ebay glass discussion board that this was a recently done hobbyist piece.  Have I lost my eye for good glass?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »
not necessarily................the head can rule the heart, often................even when you've been collecting for some considerable time. ;D

How much value do you place on the expertise of the ebay glass discussion board...............are they as good as the GMB?? ;) ;)

I take it this is 'stained' in the flashed sense  -  rather than the church sense?

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
I take flashed to mean a thin layer of glass over thicker glass, and stained to mean a chemical coloring applied to the surface of glass then baked on.  In addition to the stain, the petals and blossoms are  outlined in heavy enamel.  I don't know where an American hobbyist would find a piece of blown glass with a ground out and polished pontil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »
Yes, you're correct I believe with these definitions.          It's not to say that someone with artistic skills might not find a clear glass lidded compote and then decorate it, but your piece looks to be decorated professionally, and it's attractive.          The colours look uniform and well done.           If you like it that's the important point - it's just that you may have to live without an attribution :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand