No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge c19th Millefiori paperweight with unusual lipped base help please  (Read 921 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

i recently purchased this unusual large Millefiori paperweight, it looks to definatley be at least c19th and has a snapped off pontil mark.

its large measuring approx 10.5cms in diameter,  and i think it may have been used as a door stop as there are two sizable base chips.

the base however is like nothing i have seen before and appears to be a lipped platform? i was wondering if this was a characteristic of any particular factory? and if so which one.

thank you in advance for your help

kind regards steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Huge c19th Millefiori paperweight with unusual lipped base help please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »

Hi Steven.  Your weight is 'Old English', probably from Richardson, but it may be a good Walsh Walsh example (I need to check out the canes a bit more to see if I can distinguish which).  These makers tended to make large pieces, sometimes with the lipped foot that yours has. As for date, probably early 20th Century - but Walsh Walsh kept going until 1950, and the style of their paperweights changed very little. 

There is a short article on identifying Old English paperweights on my website.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Huge c19th Millefiori paperweight with unusual lipped base help please
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »
thanks alot Alan i will do some further research,

here are another couple of photos including a closer view of the canes

kind regards steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com