Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > China & Taiwan

China Murano glass

<< < (2/2)

Fuhrman Glass:
does it matter in what country the glass was made? Reason I ask is, there are some Italians, Americans, and Scandinavians  that from time to time work in China and other countries. A good friend mine has worked with one company in China quite a bit and another worked for a company in Thailand. Dale Chihuly had his work produced in factories all over the world and it still sells for 1000s of dollars. For economic reasons companies produce what they feel they can export and make a profit on. The traditional "Chinese" culture glass is something that does not appeal to the Western cultures and much of the western culture glass does not sell in other cultures. When it comes to forging signatures and identification for fraudulent purposes that is an entirely different story and should not be tolerated.

Fuhrman Glass:
Creating new designs in any media, especially glass is difficult and culture rule design studies for each country. Another friend of mine that was a professor at a large design college used to spend a week or more every year actually recruiting students from South Korea to the U.S. . It's an international market and exchange of ideas and designs will become much more frequent. I.E. look at architecture.

catshome:
I agree with most of what you say, and it was interesting to read.  I did try to make it clear that it wasn't about quality or even about it being Chinese.  If you just want a nice piece of glass it isn't even an issue.

However, if you collect and you like to know about the pieces you own, or if you have to part with something and you want to be sure you correctly identify it, there's no denying that the fact these pieces are almost identical, and unmarked, makes it very much harder these days than it was ten years ago.

I appreciate that a great deal of glass is already unmarked, but we have learnt to identify them by form and colour.  Now that those forms are being "copied", it is getting harder to do that with confidence.  Fortunately, most of the glass I have was collected more than ten years ago. 

You say that "traditional 'Chinese' culture glass is something that does not appeal to the Western cultures".  That would suggest that all western glass is broadly the same type, which is clearly not the case.  I feel that we have a history of fascination with Chinese culture and art, and many of the designs on vintage Peking glass, for example, would appeal.

It will be interesting to see what other members think.

yashkane:
Every large firm and distribution firms listed in alibaba site ....it has a business from all over the world

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version