No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible 'annagelb' uranium glass.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: possible 'annagelb' uranium glass.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
Paul S:  I was not suggesting that your product was part of the Gay line by Webb.  I was just suggesting as to why your glass was the color that it is (i.e.  mega-dose of uranium).  I have glass from 1840 up to 1990 that is (generically) "honey amber uranium".  Boyd Crystal Art glass once made this color and there are several little novelty shapes that they made, including (ironically), a honey pot !  (I have one.).  I have cut glass and pressed glass through the years that show this color.  Pukeberg Glass made several shapes and designs from 1915-1930, including their 'FAN' design.  One of the colors that they used was a honey amber uranium.  Boyd Glass, Thomas Webb, WMF (Germany) and Steuben all had utilized various shades of that color.  I have no clue who made your piece, and only decided to write to let you know that it was not some other added ingredient (like manganese) that was responsible for this coloration. 

Below is a cut & etched goblet I never identified that I no longer own (someone made me an offer I could not refuse), that is a very dark amber. 

Also, a open salt cellar (with cut rim) from about 1840s, and a WMF vase (label still intact), and the little dog in the WMF photo is a piece of Boyd Glass.  ALL show different shading of honey amber uranium, all glow tremendously. 

The patent I described earlier?  ONLY uranium was used as a coloration.  No manganese or other ingredients added.

Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
thanks Dave - I think it was more a case of me thinking out loud and saying no regarding my own thoughts of a link with Webb.          Quite amazing the variety of shades of daylight colours that uranium content glass can show. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
Paul S
The only pieces I have left from the photos I posted are the little doggie, and the 1840s salt seller.  sold off the other pieces in the last few years. 

Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand