No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Paperweight Lagoon L9068  (Read 1131 times)

Offline dasm

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • Edinburgh
Caithness Paperweight Lagoon L9068
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
Hello,

Over the last few years I recently started collecting Caithness Paper weights, I have only bought paperweights from new so I don't have any historic ones, except this one which my Grandfather gave to me, it is from the early-mid 90's. I have been displaying these on light boxes to get the most of the colours.

Unlike my new ones it has a label underneath it which means I can't really display it that way and it also runs round the side of the paperweight a bit which isn't that nice. My question is, if I remove the label is there a Caithness marking underneath that has the details about the limited edition and Caithness mark? I don't have the original box or any of the details so the only mark that says it is a Caithness limited edition is that label underneath and I don't want to remove it if it will affect any resale price in the future if it ever will be sold.

Additionally, I was wondering what a rough value is for the item for insurance purposes? Most of my new paperweights are around £150 - £200, would that be the rough price of this one or would it be closer to the £90 - £100 mark?

Thanks

David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Caithness Paperweight Lagoon L9068
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
Hello David,although I have a number of Caithness weights I'm no expert,they are usually  marked on the base,the ones we have that are limited editions are,,Lagoon is,according to my book by Margot Thomson,1990,prices I have no idea I'm afraid, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dasm

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply Keith, I might keep the label on for now then just in case, unless anyone else confirms, I am sure it will have a marked base being a limited edition though. Where is the marking usually placed? On my new ones it is round the outside of the base but it must be in the centre on this one otherwise I would be able to see it.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
Can you peel one edge of the label up to have a peek underneath? If need be it could always be re-stuck with a little bit of PVA (wood glue).

John

Offline dasm

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
I tried that, unfortunately the label has been on so long that as soon as I started to peel it started to tear so I can't really see it without then cleaning the base which will destroy the label unfortunately.  :(

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
Plan B then... you could carefully slide a razor blade (or blade from a craft knife) under the label at a slight angle to remove it. Approach from each side and work slowly towards the centre, this has worked well for me in the past. I don't like labels in view and move them to the bases on items in my collection.

John

Offline dasm

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
Thanks John, I will give that a go this evening, will let you know how I get on!

Offline dasm

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
That worked thanks! And the weight is marked with both the edition number, name and Caithness glass. Thanks for your suggestion!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand