No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams 1889 Moresque?  (Read 13351 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams 1889 Moresque?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
do you have Gulliver m?  -  I'll try and get to Kew in the coming weeks and will then hope to post the later Registration.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2021, 11:09:07 PM »
I do have Gulliver and have just checked.  I think the two patterns are slightly different  :-\ so that might be why?  Or it could be that the second one has threading around the rim over the already in place Moresque pattern. So it could be registering that whole design.

See also a weird thing with Richardson on page 261 where they appear to have registered a vermicular pattern twice, once under R. D. 96705 August 24 1854 and then again under R. D. 98170 November 16, 1854.  Odd.  It seems they (he, actually, as it was registered under Benjamin Richardson Registered Designs when the company changed name) registered it separately to cover globes, lampshades and pedestals.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
The two separate Moresque Registered designs, whilst having some small difference in appearance were, IMHO, intended to be identical.          The original factory drawings may well have been drawn by different hands, with the obvious resulting slight difference in appearance, but the basic pattern of contoured lines, in both, is very similar.         
I'm all for going with the idea that the factory - in raising a second Registration - were simply covering their backs by adding threading to their earlier Moresque design just in case some clever dick did something similar in order to get round the legal protection that the first Registration afforded Richardson.       At the dates we're speaking of, trailing and threading by machine was still some years away, but the ornamentation of the process was popular, so re-Registering their Moresque design to include threading may have been seen as necessary caution.                 

As for details of the vermicular, we'll have to ask Anne (Mod.) to change your 96705 to read 96703, and to correct the date to 26th August  - you cost me hours this morning in hunting and not finding 96705 ;)     -    touche    ;D ;D           Gulliver has written the incorrect date of August 24th, which assume you've copied  -  the Kew Register shows 26th August - Ray Slack is correct - and Thompson shows the actual Register page, so no doubting the date. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »
Oh really sorry about that  :-[  Thank you for correcting the error.   I did indeed copy Gulliver.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2021, 08:48:20 PM »
it's a shame that so much of Mervyn Gulliver's annotations to his drawings are written in such small script - it's almost a case of needing a magnifying glass.          My comments about the difference, or not, in the two Moresque patterns was only my opinion, you may well be correct.       Unfortunately, we may never know the definitive answer.     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2021, 09:21:45 PM »
It's odd.  I think the second one is the threading over the already 'threaded' or 'trailed' Moresque base pattern.
I mean, that process has to have been quite difficult to control hasn't it?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2021, 10:30:06 AM »
am not ignoring you m  -  will come back to this after lunch with some good info. :) 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
agree that threading must have been a skilled job whether manually, or by machine.         Threading appears to have been produced mechanically by Hodgetts & Richardson after they patented William Hodgetts invention in 1876, for a machine to do this work.           Hajdamach 'British Glass 1800 - 1914', (chapter on Patents & Techniques) writes that after this date other houses followed suite with their own version of mechanically produced threading, and judging by the material still around the fashion for this feature was obviously v. popular.

Coming back to S. & W. Moresque, and the two Board of Trade Registrations 137288 (1889) and 612352 (1912), see above - the latter incorporating horizontal threading over a Moresque body.                In his book on Stevens & Williams/R.B., 'The Crystal Years', Williams-Thomas includes the first of these Rd. Nos. in his Appendix B (Design Registrations 1884 - 1928), p. 73.     
On the nature of this Registration he writes  -  possibly his own wording but I'm unsure  -  "A surface decoration with pulled threaded decoration recovering with fine clear threading."     I could be wrong, but he seems possibly to have confused the factory drawing of a plain Moresque image as per Rd. 137288 (without threading), and the later Rd.  612352, which does in fact show threading over a Moresque pattern.             Frankly, if you lacked any knowledge of this subject I doubt that his description would make you any wiser  -  perhaps even he was unsure as to the processes involved and which Rd. referred to which design.   

But, for reason I'm unaware of and in the same Appendix, Williams-Thomas omits reference to 612352 which does show threading over a Moresque pattern.               Confusion it seems - so nothing unusual there then, and compounded by his insistence on wrongly classifying all those Registrations as CLASS IV.

M, I'm guessing to some extent, but your suggestion that the second threading is over the already threaded/trailed Moresque body pattern, would appear contrary to the known method of applying this form of decoration, which was that a glass body was held by one worker and revolved manually or mechanically, whilst another worker held another piece of glass - or machine - from which the threading was being supplied.        In view of the decorative appearance of Moresque (contoured lines etc.), it would appear that this couldn't have been applied/produced mechanically by means of threading.

Hajdamach - same book - writes .............  ""The Stevens & Williams pattern books, especially during 1889, show a number of vases and bowls known as 'Moresque', in which the glass spiral was closely threaded on to shapes which had been blown into dip moulds carved on the inside with ogee shaped arches or other oriental and Near Eastern patterns.           Once the piece was blown out, the effect of the dip mould softened into a gentle optical effect and with the addition of a layer of close threading it gave the appearance of watered silk."" - this is how we visualize the image shown in the factory drawing for 612352.

Reading the various authors there doesn't look to be a clear cut time line as to when the results of these two Registrations were put into use or for how long there were produced, and I dare say we will now never know.     
Hajdamach appears to be suggesting that there was only the one layer of threading - the final layer over the already created Moresque pattern which had been created by dip mould process and not threading.
Over to you :-*

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
I should have looked at the books! 
Your information is very comprehensive.

Going with Hajdamach's British Glass description it appears he is describing Moresque as there being a one and only Decor  'Moresque' that was the dip mold design with ogee shapes or similar on the body of the piece and also had trailing over the top of that.

So, I wonder if they patented the dip mold design first, and then also patented the final effect of the trailing over the dip mold design?

That could be why there are two patents.

Pure conjecture of course.
Thank you for looking all that up.
I think that concludes the S&W 'Moresque' design or decor - it was a dip mold body WITH a trailed design over the top.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »
yes, you could be correct with the suggestion that the first Rd. is simply Registering the dip mould process which provided the Moresque surface pattern - nothing to do with threading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand