No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID a Signed and Numbered Glass Vase - ID = Kjellander  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Flack

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • USA
ID a Signed and Numbered Glass Vase - ID = Kjellander
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
When I found this piece I thought it would be a "piece of cake" to ID. Between the leaping gazelle and the signature I thought "Orrefors".
Well, I can't find anything that comes close to the siggy on this piece. I have looked at  many online pieces of glass and I also went to the library but I have come up with nothing.
 Does anyone recognize this piece?
TIA

it weighs in at 1lb.12oz
About 5" high
1/4" thick

PS I have more trouble posting pictures here than any other forum :-(

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: ID a Signed and Numbered Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
Kjellander! Just need to get you the history i received from Eleonor, the granddaughter....

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
Lars Kjellander, born1799, was the first Swedish born glass engraver and came to Kosta Glasbruk from Cedersbergs Glasswork in 1825. Previously all engravers came from Germany.

His son Erik 1830-1916 was a man with many qualifacations and ideas. He became master-engraver and foreman in Kosta Glassworks. His four sons were  also engaged there and they became skilled engravers, but unfortunatly, three passed away at young age.

Lars Johan Kjellander 1868-1931, began life at Kosta as an apprentice to his father, Erik at the age of 15 and soon became  a clever artist and skilled engraver and later manager of the engraving workshop, known as Kjellandrarnas Verkstad (= Worksshop ). His work was displayed in many exhibitions, Paris, Turin, Karlsruhe, St.Petersburg and of  course in Stockholm. At the Art-Industrial Exhibition in Stockholm 1909, he demonstrated the art of engraving and of cutting glass.

Dispite of the war 1914-1918, Kosta continued to export glassware to U.S.A,  much of it was the design and work of Lars Kjellander. A lot of the items exported, were the beautiful wine-glasses he engraved,working at Kosta.

Lars seldom signed his work and if he did, it was simply marked  LK.

In 1924  Lars and his two sons, Åke, 1903-1989 and Nils, 1907-1991 decided to start their own business  and they opened a  work-shop in Vetlanda. From 1925 engraved crystal from the Kjellanders in Vetlanda was soon in great demand in many  parts of the world, vases bowls. wine-glasses etc.

Åke and Nils ,the fourth generation of the  family of glass-engravers, continued their work until 1983.

Your item is from the last generation, Åke and/or Nils and can be dated to the 60ies. The numbers refer to the model of the item and the design engraved.

(sources Eleonor Kjellander-Johannisson, Ösbyvägen 19, 182 54 Djursholm, daughter of  Åke Kjellander)

Now you know everything!  :)

Offline Flack

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
Anne , you are amazing! I can't thank you enough for all your information.
I live in Central Florida and this is my third piece of Scandinavian glass I have found in as many months.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »
Anne , you are amazing! I can't thank you enough for all your information.
I live in Central Florida and this is my third piece of Scandinavian glass I have found in as many months.

It took me a little while to find out what the signature was at the time, but with some help on another forum and here on the GMB,  i managed to and wanted to know a little more,  i was waiting for the perfect opportunity to pass this information on...thanks to Kjellander i fell in love with scandinavian glass and i am pleased that you like it too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand