No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Reverse amberina? Something else? Jug, probably Victorian  (Read 398 times)

Offline Delphiniumdell

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Depression glass
    • Australia
Reverse amberina? Something else? Jug, probably Victorian
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
I'm looking for help on this lovely old jug. It almost looks like a reverse amberina, except that it's green shading to pink. There's an ash inclusion and a hollow ground pontil. About 8 inches 25 or so cm tall

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Reverse amberina? Something else? Jug, probably Victorian
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
taking an uneducated guess I'd suggest the red is a little too pale for amberina, and could be wrong but have a feeling that you don't get amberina shading in combination with green  -  although historically green (often in the form of uranium, was a common partner with ruby and pink).

This is possibly just a pale cranberry and green water jug  -  assume you've tried a u.v. torch on the green without any reaction  -  I had wondered if it were possible to get verde-rubina  -  the opposite of the usual rubina-verde, where the green fluoresces  -  but I suspect not.
If you read Dave Peterson's very interesting and informative contribution to this link...............                http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36921.msg201327.html#msg201327   ..... he seems to suggest that if the red is not at the top then this may simply be coloured glass.

Lustrousstone may well have a more accurate idea on this one..            nice jug by the way - it could well be late C19 - early C20. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Delphiniumdell

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Depression glass
    • Australia
Re: Reverse amberina? Something else? Jug, probably Victorian
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
Thank you for your reply. You're right it doesn't look quite right for Amberina. yes, I have checked with a UV torch  - no reaction.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand