No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall slim decanter with bullet-shaped stopper - ID = Wedgwood Frank Thrower  (Read 1138 times)

Offline greyfella

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
clear glass decanter bottle shaped with a bullet shaped stopper ?,ground and polished pontil mark.14 inches tall with stopper in 11 ins without,stopper 4ins tall.width across base 3 1/2  ins.etched to the neck .any help appreciated ,many thanks

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: decanter,scandinavian ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
This is a design for Wedgwood by Frank Thrower after the collaboration with Dartington. A Marcel decanter pattern number FJT15 (later made with a ball stopper) with this stopper it probably dates from 1983 or 4. It is a reworking of one of his earlier designs for Dartington - the Exmoor decanter,  the same shape but with a bubble in the base and stopper.

No faint acid etched marks on the base?

John

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
thank you for reply.i have had this upside down with eye glass and can find no markings at all anywhere,were they always marked?,to be honest the glass thing is harder than it looks but hopefully i am still learning and cheaply so not getting hurt to much ,anyway many thanks john

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
I had a similar decanter with one of the ball stoppers, I am fairly sure it was marked "Wedgwood" but it would have been later in date than yours. I wouldn't be surprised to find one unmarked either.

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
appreciate you taking the time,again many thanks john

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
Here is that similar decanter, Gaston (FJT14) but with the later ball stopper, your decanter has 'straight' shoulders while this one has them curved. Both decanters can be found with both stopper shapes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand