No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Smoke glass footed pouring container without a handle  (Read 423 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Smoke glass footed pouring container without a handle
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
Any ideas about this strange looking piece would be much appreciated.  I'm not sure it could be called a jug, as according to English speaking dictionaries, a jug has to have a handle.   

I can't think what beverage it would be used for as it is difficult to handle both when empty and even more when filled with liquid.  Presumably you have to hold in the the palm of your hands, held resting inbetween fingers, just like a brandy balloon ??? 

I think it might be Scandinavian and may be dates back to the 60s-70s.  I've been searching for something similar and can find carafes from around that time, but without a foot.  Odd, but great looking and really well made!
TIA ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

Re: Smoke glass footed pouring container without a handle
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
 :-[ I'm still haunted by these bl**dy cocktail mixers lol  8)

I think the disc foot is a marker for ID? I had found several sources but none are primary ones and I try to take CW attributions with a pinch of salt these days

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/40502-two-tivoli-cocktail-mixers-per-ltken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
Many thanks folks for your replies :)  One shown on Hardernet is identical and the dimensions match too, and I also compared the smoke colour to a Selandia bowl with a Per Lutken monogram which I have, and they too look the same.   
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
am sure everyone knows, but since I couldn't see it mentioned.............the lip is pinched so the ice cubes don't suddenly rush out and soak your guests. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand