No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: nazeing vase?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline greyfella

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
nazeing vase?
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
hi all,i have this vase possibly nazeing?.cloudy orange/pink,bubbled.7ins tall,7ins across widesr point,5ins across the opening,just over 4ins across the base.ground pontil .any help gratefully received,many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: nazeing vase?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
I would think the answer is no..........          it doesn't appear to be either a shape or colour that occurs in the book.          That doesn't mean that it isn't from the 'bubbles' period, but fairly sure it's not Nazeing. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
i have seen this colour on multiple occasions described as nazeing ,20th century glass ,mind you possibility is a big word .live and learn ,many thanks

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
As a type of bubbled glass, it owes more of its looks to something like Walsh Pompeian than anything Nazeing made.           
NOT that it is Walsh  -  I'm just suggesting an affinity with something esle that people might know by sight, to show there's quite a lot of difference between this and Nazeing.  :)         

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
thank you ,for future reference for myself would it be true that many records for nazeing were lost due to fire at one time in the distant past?,many thanks,live and learn

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
affinity,possibility ,i just quite like it ,walsh,nazeing nice little thing,appreciate you taking the time paul

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
I'm not aware of a fire, but perhaps I've not read the book properly. :)               There are people here who are genuinely knowledgable about Nazeing, and will know the answer to that better than me, although they rarely look in, unfortunately.               
Certainly the spring of 1947 created some flood damage (after very severe winter), and believe much stock was lost, with some workers needing to be rescued by boat :(

This area of bubbled/cloudy glass is one of the most difficult of all to id with accuracy - so many similar looking types made during the 1920 - 1940 period - and if that wasn't bad enough you may well get Ivo telling you this is modern Egyptian anyway.
It seems that part of the middle east have been making bubbled glass for a few years now.
Then again you should also know how to differentiate the Dutch Antiqua bubbled glass - although it's a little easier to spot since the bubbles are larger and I believe the colourways are vastly more limited - have a look on the internet and you'll see the difference...................so you see, it's quite easy when you know how ;D

Charles Hajdamach's C20 Glass book does have a good chapter on this type of glass, and the Geoff. Timberlake book on the Nazeing factory is a must, but difficult to source since it was printed privately.        Mine came from Nigel - with greatful thanks :)

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
my little vase came from a dearest  old lady who has had this vase for 30yrs and change ,she in turn had this from her dear old mum,so who knows once again thank you for your time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand