No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Vase ID request... Thank you in advance!  (Read 786 times)

Offline hockjok7

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass vase
    • usa
Glass Vase ID request... Thank you in advance!
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »
Hello Identifiers (?) lol,

My name is Ben and im researching this glass vase for a friend. She would like an approximated value, so that when she goes to the antique shop to see if they will give her any money for it, she won't be getting ripped off.

All three pictures i uploaded are of the same vase... It was hard to get the pattern on it up close on film and in focus. The gold  flower/leaf/vine pattern on the vase has a sandpaper-like texture to it. I dont know my vase art lingo very well but it seems as tho it was first etched somehow, and then the gold paint was applied to the crevasses of the etching, and then wiped smooth so as to let light through the transparent un-etched or "negative space" areas of the vase.

The vase has the following dimensions:
Height: 6 inches
Diameter (widest point): 3.75 inches
base diameter: 2.5 inches
mouth (top/opening) diameter, point to point: 3 inches
mouth diameter, swoop(?) to swoop: 2.75 inches
neck diameter: 2.25 inches

There are no engravings, initials, markings, names, or anything else for that matter besides the gold-etched design as seen, covering the entire exterior of the vase, except for the base which is completely smooth. The interior is also completely smooth.

So, do we have a winner? Or should she save a trip to the antique store and throw some hand picked daisies and water into the thing?

Thank You much,
Ben
hockjok7 AT hotmail.com (change AT to @ and close up the spaces)

PS, Is this forum is set up by default to notify me via email of any replies to this post? If not, please email me any pertinent info. Thanks again!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
Re: Glass Vase ID request... Thank you in advance!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Looks a bit like Royal Brierley, but that's just a guess as unfortunately the photos are too small and out of focus to see the vase properly. Can you upload alternative ones, please.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline hockjok7

• Members
    • glass vase
    • usa
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Looks a bit like Royal Brierley, but that's just a guess as unfortunately the photos are too small and out of focus to see the vase properly. Can you upload alternative ones, please.

My apologies... i struggled a bit with the uploading of the photos... as you might have noticed, i stated i took three pictures - and then only uploaded 2 of them. This was due to the fact the when i tried posting originally, an ERROR was returned, saying there was a 125kb limit for attachments. I would take some better ones for you, but i refused to hold onto the vase for her, and she is now at home. (My luck, i would have smarshed it into thousands of flying shards while swinging my e-raquet at a mosquito;D)
I was able to resize and edit the photos a bit.

Hope this helps
Ben

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »
I would very much doubt Royal Brierley - I think that attribution was because the pics did not show the pattern on the piece.

I cannot tell if the vase is moulded or cut, I would suspect moulded and irridised.

An attribution would help a lot, you are in the states, so american makers would be the first routes to try.

We don't reallly discuss valuations here, because they are highly subjective - anything is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. 
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
If you put Lotus glass and the Daisy Fields pattern into Google you will turn up quite a lot of info.

Cheers

Santa

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Thanks to Santa's pointer I can post this for you to compare with, from our friends at the Glass Etch and Pattern Gallery:    
http://chataboutdg.com/gallery/img2035.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand