No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id please  (Read 1741 times)

Offline squeakyjoe

• Members
id please
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
Can somebody please help me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: id please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
It's a very nice antique weight. Long ago we would have said Bohemian, then a few years ago we would have thought  St. Mande or perhaps Grenelle (ie French). Now current research being done by TROPDEVIN is indicating some of these weights may have been made with Islington Glass Works canes (ie English). Tropdevin is the expert who should weight in on this one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »

Hi.  I bid on this (and the other one from the same maker in the same sale), but did not win either - now I know who got one! ;D

What alpha says reflects the current state of play.  Strictly speaking they are by an unknown maker, and no one is certain what country they were made in even.  I am researching these pieces (maybe 10 similar are known?), and various bits of evidence are pointing to them being made by the Islington Glass Works...but that is not yet a positive attribution. 

I have written an article discussing these pieces and much of the evidence for the 2014 Bulletin of the Paperweight Collectors Association, Inc.  I also wrote an article about them in the August 2013 issue of the Paperweight Collectors Circle Newsletter.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline squeakyjoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Hi thanks for your info can't remember there Bing another paperweight in the room that day  :'( I'll now go and track your articles down For more reading as weights are not a strong point for me so I want to learn thanks again

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »

Hi Joe

Your basket weight was Lot 636 in the auction. The other (with a green and white basket) was Lot 635, and sold for half as much again.

Alan

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline squeakyjoe

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
Lol fair do to be honest I was after some thing else in the lot this was just a nice bonus can't say I saw the other lot thanks for all your info

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »

Hi Joe.

I think you are correct that there was not another one in the room: we are talking about different auctions.

I assumed that yours was the one I bid on in a sale on 24 October - but there was nothing else in that lot (I only have an auction house thumbnail of the piece, which I cannot reproduce here for copyright reasons). Although these are very uncommon pieces, two must have gone to auction at broadly the same time. Both had blue/white stave baskets, both were close concentrics, and both use distinctive millefiori canes from a very limited set found only in these pieces. So yours is another member of the group.

I would welcome images for my records if you were able to email them to me. Incidentally, does yours have a flat polished base?

I have attached an image of two examples in our collection.

Alan

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
Alan, I got 635. Don

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Alan, if you would be interested, once the weight has been delivered to me, I could forward it to you to help with your research. When you are done, you could post it back, Don

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

Hi Don.

Many thanks for the offer.  What would be useful would be good top view / side view / base images, so I can examine the canes in detail.

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand