No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying antique vaseline? glass vase  (Read 1172 times)

bfg

Re: Help identifying antique vaseline? glass vase
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Hi m

they look like continental written numbers to my eye (my German friend writes like that) if the last 3 numerals were 148 instead of 798 does that make a difference to the date using the reference data you have?

just curious

mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
Hi Mel
mm, yes I debated over whether it was a one, but figured it was a 7 without the cross across it which is how I would imagine it might be if Continental.  My grandma wrote like this as well (English lol), but you could be right.
No, it wouldn't make a difference to the year if that digit were a 1 though (if it were English rd numbers).

I wonder if anyone else recognises the opalescent pattern.  Harrach did do versions of as well.  I don't know about any other continental maker so can't add any more.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
Thank you all for your help on this piece. I'll keep trawling the Internet to see if I can come up with anything - you've all given me a few good places to start looking at least :-).

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
I have this vase that has a similar pattern, with a tentative ID of Webb (based on a photo in Manley Victorian Glass).

John

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
There is a VERY good chance that this was made by Harrach.  Those pink flowers and the opalescent spot pattern was made by Harrach.  The feet are also very similar to work done by Harrach.  The glitch is...people copied work done by other people. 

Dave Peterson

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
There is a VERY good chance that this was made by Harrach.  Those pink flowers and the opalescent spot pattern was made by Harrach.  The feet are also very similar to work done by Harrach.  The glitch is...people copied work done by other people. 

Dave Peterson

Dave - thanks for that. I've done some searching on that maker, and can see what you mean by the similar pieces. At least it gives me a tentative ID - as you say, work was copied and so on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand