No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare Jane Webb &c pressed glass swan planter RD 288015, 21 December 1874.  (Read 6298 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Just out of interest Fred, you mentioned height as 3 1/2" in your original post. Was that supposed to read 5 1/2 as the former figure would make the swan unfeasibly stunted!

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Oh wait, ignore that last question - the length was also shorter...

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Hello:

Along with the advertisements in the December 1888 Pottery & Glass Gazette, there was also a letter from Edward Moore which in part states "We beg leave to inform you that by an arrangement with the Executors of the late Joseph Webb, Coalbourn Hill Glass Works, Stourbridge, we have become the proprietors of the whole stock of the moulds employed by that eminent Firm. These moulds are now in use here, and we enclose lithograph drawings of the leading articles..."  So yes, we can document that Moore did indeed acquire the Webb moulds.

Sid

Offline neilh

• Members
I recently came across a pair of these in plain glass, as that variety hasn't been shown here I though I would add them. They are large at a Height of 5.75in and Width 7in. They contain little or no lead in the mix and the registration diamond has almost faded off on one, and invisible on the other, which makes me think they could be from the Edward Moore phase, produced off a worn mould.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I may have shown TNA details before - unfortunately, I now can't remember, but if I have then ignore these.           Brain now in gear  -  obviously not looking properly  -  I think these pix are better, and seems I didn't post the Register page before anyway - so not an entirely wasted exercise.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Rare Jane Webb &c pressed glass swan planter RD 288015, 21 December 1874.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2023, 04:28:54 PM »
I thought I’d share this Webb swan in an unusual peach colour, on first glance I thought it can’t be an original due to the colour but under close inspection I have found a very faint lozenge in the correct place as we have another with a prominent lozenge in a more common clear frosted colour . Seeing the info on this thread perhaps this was made by Edward Moore? As he bought the Webb moulds. I think Davidson later bought Edward Moore’s moulds.  I don’t recall seeing another Edward Moore item in this colour? Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand