No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Façon de Venise  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Façon de Venise
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
Any thoughts on the glass below. It's made of soda glass (yellow luminesence under UV). The blue edges are due to the metal having a slightly blue tinge which only becomes apparent at the rims. It has a rough pontil mark and the baluster stem is hollow. Where and when was it made?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Façon de Venise
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I've have a book with a glass similar described as late 16th century Netherlands,but somehow it looks alot older than yours.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
Just to add,it looks like the the dutch Facon de Venise in my book may have a thin fold folded foot,if that's the right way of putting it..

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
Hi ,
          I remember seeing this at auction and thinking the date was wrong , looks more like the second half of the 19th c to me ,C H F Muller in Hamburg produced many Facon De Venise replicas and this could be one of there's, replicas were also made in other countries Italy and England included.

cheers ,
                Peter.

just added a quick snap of one of my replicas , I think you will see some similarities

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
Peter

I think you are almost certainly correct. As soon as I got it my gut feeling was that it wasn't 250 years old. There is little wear to the foot and barely any to the bowl rim. The auction house described it as 18th century Dutch. Another glass I bought was also described as Dutch but the style is German and the engraving was written in German!

Interestingly, going back to the glass shown, the Fitzwilliam Museum was also fooled for many years and had to reattribute a glass they originally thought to be Dutch 17th century to Muller and 1875.

The glass is very pleasant and an antique but my dilemma now is what to do about it vis à vis the auctioneers. Advice please.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
HI ,
             It would probably be best if I could see the glass , I will be at the National Glass Fair on the 10th ,not sure if talking about what to do is appropriate or allowed on the forum, you can of course private message me via the icon on the left .

cheers ,
              Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand