No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore? pressed glass flower trough set.  (Read 4818 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Edward Moore? pressed glass flower trough set.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Thank you, Paul.

There is indeed an error in my link in yesterday's post #6. It should have read:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34328.msg185754.html#msg185754
and the James Measell references to a flower arch RD 252823 (or at least the corresponding lozenge for 25 May 1871) begin in reply #3, with more detail in reply #4.

I would certainly be grateful if you would check the design representation for RD 252823 at TNA whenever convenient.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
A quick search online for Isaac Barnes' registered designs at TNA has revealed the following entries, not all of which are Class 3 (glass):

Class 3: RD 149521 of 22 February 1862 – glass globe or shade.

Class 3: RD 149522 of 22 February 1862 – glass globe or shade.

Class 1 (metal): RD 157197 of 3 November 1862 – cap or cover for globes or glasses of gas and other lamps.

Class 3: Rd 163192 of 9 June 1863 – gas chandelier.

Class 3: RD 163900 of 1 July 1863 – chandelier.

Class 4 (earthenware): RD 189872 of 21 September 1865 – smoke cap or cover for the globes or shades of lamps.

Class 4 (earthenware): RD 189873 of 21 September 1865 – smoke cap or cover for the globes or shades of lamps.

Class 3: RD 256680 of 13 October 1871 – chandelier.

Class 3: RD 271867 of 5 April 1873 – chandelier.

Class 3: RD 281119 of 13 March 1874 – design for turning on gas lamp for lighting.

Class 1 (metal): RD 283836 of 20 July 1874 – chandelier.

Class 3: RD 305227 of 17 November 1876 – no subject.

Class 3:  RD 324501 of 2 August 1878 – no subject.

Class 3: RD 329744 of 28 December 1878 (though Raymond Slack gives the date as 28 November 1878, and his interpretation seems to be confirmed by the somewhat illegible entry copy in Jenny Thompson, page 119) – no subject.

Sadly, there seems to be no direct mention of the flower troughs – perhaps they are the entries without a subject.

The designs themselves are typical of many Victorian glass registrations – an abundance of chandeliers, globes, shades, and other glass bits and bobs connected with lighting. It just makes one realise that lighting the home or other premises before the advent of electric light was a struggle to maximise the output of any light source, and that maintaining and cleaning the paraphernalia associated with it often took up  significant amounts of time and effort (especially with oil- and candle-lighting).

Googling Isaac Barnes and Birmingham in all kinds of combinations with other keywords has proved to be unfruitful so far.

Broad Street was (and still is) in the commercial heart of Birmingham, and the Barnes addresses there are more likely indicative of retail or office premises rather than a glass manufacturing site. The Cambridge Street address is only a short distance from the extensive Birmingham canal network (as are most other central Birmingham addresses), but the site is presently in a development area, and any Victorian retail or manufacturing premises seem to have disappeared, though the site seems unlikely to have housed a glassworks of any scale.  I think the most likely scenario is that Barnes was a retailer or agent for chandeliers, lighting appliances  and accessories (perhaps also dealing with other fancy goods), and that the manufacture of the wares from his registered designs would almost certainly have been contracted out to one of the myriad manufacturing businesses operating throughout the area.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
copy of the Archives image for Rd. No. 252823 now attached..........

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Thank you very much, Paul.

Just a plain arch / bridge with raised edges, then - no vertical ribs to the sides like most of the other arches / troughs discussed. Nice to have the design representation though for confirmation.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
I've just remembered something, probably totally unrelated (I confess I'm now lost as to where my bridge might fall in this, sorry  :-[ )
but what I've remembered is I wasn't told it was probably Edward Moore I was told it (my bridge) was probably Joseph Webb.
I can't remember the reason but it was something to do with the mould seams being prominent and to do with them not having equipment to remove the seams.  Sorry I can't be more specific.
I still have the bridge and can post more pics,close ups if you need.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »
I have four pieces by Joseph Webb / Jane Webb &c, all from registered designs and firmly attributed by the registry date lozenges. All of the pieces are of really good quality - the glass body is clear and has a really good 'ring' to it, the mould seams unobtrusive and well finished, and the frosted parts on a couple of sugar basins  is top quality (very accurately and evenly applied.

In my experience, therefore, prominent mould seams are not a characteristic or diagnostic feature of their pieces, and the technical excellence of the pieces that I have points to the Coalbourn Hill Glass works having lots of equipment and expertise to enable them to produce well-finished items.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
aah thanks Fred, perhaps it was the other way round then, that if there were no prominent mould seams then it would be Joseph Webb?
Sorry, I didn't write it down.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand