No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Ram  (Read 9051 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Glass Ram
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
Another thought.  Contact www.crystalstubbsglass.com/ she made clear pieces like that in her earlier days and she might know who did make it even if she did not.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
So it looks as though there's plenty for you to be going on with in terms of research chickpeaoz,  and I tend to agree with Ross that this is not a shear mark. 
However,  my thoughts that it could be a pig,  must have made you laugh Ross!!  So we are looking for a possible TR is a stylised oval form.
In the meantime, I am back off to have more of a look at all the wonderful glass on the Crystal Stubbs website. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
I think the owner should know
It is an indented mark

not
they are raised

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »
I wonder if there is confusion here .... might the whole oval be raised,  but the symbol within it be indented or even the other way round?
The way the symbol retains the Vegemite does suggest that this particular part is indented,  and in the pencil rubbing, this symbol is not picking up the graphite, so again, suggesting it is indented,  but the whole oval area does catch the graphite so it may well be both. i.e. a raised oval with an indented symbol.
Can you confirm that for us please chickpeaoz?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chickpeaoz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
Well there has been a hive of activity overnight! OK so there are two raised ovals at the back of the ram which I believe are supposed to represent the back hoofs/legs of the ram but are most likely there to give the back stability?? It is definitely an incised mark and I when I look down at it I cannot see a TR unless I reverse the image in a mirror ( hope this makes sense).
So I have decided to hand draw it to give you a better idea and have also drawn it from a sideways perspective so that you can look at it from both directions - one way look almost like a Greek letter?? ( but don't know my Greek letters and haven't checked this out thoroughly). All thoughts and discussions are greatly appreciated. It has that OLD glass look to it - yellowy colour. Again don't know enough to know!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
It does not look like a makers mark to me, more likely an artefact of the glass making process. Using vegemite to highlight a mark is a fine idea though.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
My first vague impresions of the mark were that they looked a bit like an acid-etched mark I have seen on a Japanese made pressed glass clock.

I'm certinly not so sure they look anything like the mark now!
However -  it was a very minimalist stylised mark of a face profile with big flying hair behind it.
I haven't managed to work out the maker of that clock yet.
The mark was also on the clock face, along with "Japan" and another word but I didn't have my reading glasses with me to make it out.

The metal was the same yellowy colour...

And it disappeared from the charity shop before I remembered to have the right glasses with me to check.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand