No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monot & Stump, Pantin France Dovecote Fairy Lamp RD120760  (Read 2165 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Monot & Stump, Pantin France Dovecote Fairy Lamp RD120760
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Hi Jim

Some pictures of the 2 French dovecote fairy lamps which I spoke to you earlier.

They are both marked on the base RD120760 DEPOSE PANTIN.

I see from your web site www.fairy-lamp that they were made by Monot & Stump, Pantin France.

Height 7" or 18cm

Please feel free to use any pictures

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Monot & Stump, Pantin France Dovecote Fairy Lamp RD120760
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Lovely, unusual pieces, Roy,  particularly interesting as both bear a British registered design number though the registrant was a French company.

Although
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/FairyLampDesignNumbers_All.html
gives the registrant as Monot & Stump (sic.), as does Jenny Thompson (page 145), I believe that the this is a mis-spelling or mis-transcription of Monot & Stumpf.

According to
http://www.david-issitt.1hwy.com/custom4.html
“E. S. Monot at La Villette near Paris founded this company in 1850. In 1859, known as "Cristallerie de La Villette" the company was transferred to Pantin, at that time a suburb of Paris and now a part of Paris. After F. Stumpf joined the company in 1868 it became "Monot & Stumpf." In 1873 Monot's son joined the company and the name changed to "Monot, Pere et Fils et Stumpf." About 1894 the company became known as the "Stumpf, Touvier, Violette & Cie.…. Cameo glass bearing the name "deVez," "Mont Joye," and "Pantin" was produced by the same company.”

This is corroborated by
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/mann-p.htm

It would appear that RD 120760 (registered on 2 March 1889) was Monot & Stumpf’s only British design registration.

RD 120760 is not listed at
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos03.htm
and neither is it listed by Raymond Slack (page 187).

Fred. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Very interesting and unusual pieces Roy.                 It's tempting to suggest that this number is missing from Great Glass and Slack because it's another of the CLASS IV Registrations  -  but if Jenny Thompson includes the details then you'd think not.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
Thanks Fred and Paul

Jim Sapp from the www.fairy-lamp.com has told me that he knows of only one other which is marked on the base. He also told me that Central Glass of the USA also made a very similar design in a number of colours also from 1889 although there's does not seem to have the air vent in the roof.

I am hoping that he may pop in and add some extra information.

Roy

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
    • http://www.fairylampclub.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »
First, thanks for correcting my spelling error on the Registered Design Number webpage.  I have corrected it.

As Roy mentioned, I was aware of only one other lamp marked with the Registration Number 120760.  It is on Plate V, number 3 of 19TH CENTURY FAIRY LAMPS by T. Robert Anthony.  (attached)

The caption for that lamp reads: 

3.  Pink porcelain light house with formed brass top fitting and ivory carrying ring.  Seven inches high.  It is marked "Depose Pantin Reg. 120760".

A point of curiousity:  The design number on Roy's lamp is perceded by "REG" instead of the more common "Rd".  I am not sure what, if any, significance this may have.  Hopefully, someone might have some information.

I also indicated to Roy that similar lamps with several subtle differences have been attributed to Central Glass in the US.  It is curious, however, that Central Glass promoted their lamp at about the same time that the Stumpf design was registered.  The Central Glass variants are unmarked.

The following link will take you to a newsletter article on the Central Glass variants of this lamp design.

Jim.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
I don't think that there is any specific significance of the use of REG. as opposed to Rd. - other than that the latter more probably indicates a C19 date of Registration, as opposed to C20 for the more expansive REG.           Although there may well be exceptions to the rule, as there always are to these things (especially just after I've been dogmatic about it ;)).          See the attached pic (of the underside) of a piece Registered to J. Sainsbury on 25.10.1913.             I've no idea presently what this is, or if it is part only of some larger item, but can say that 627135 was also registered on the same day together with 627134.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand