No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved Covered Stein  (Read 582 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Engraved Covered Stein
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
When to a pre-sale preview of an outfit I assist from time to time & could not resist this engraved covered stein. 11" height, 5" diameter, 10 panels, 24 point cut star bottom. There were around 60 pieces of glass, glass/silver from a 50 year collection from France, Germany & Austria, some of which was simply sensational. Bottom shows alot of wear, engraving is well done & I could not do it justice with a camera. I am thinking German, Austrian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Engraved Covered Stein
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
That's really pretty. And quite big as well.
Is it at all possible to load up 600x400 individual pics so the detail can be seen clearly please?  Like the facet cuts on the stein and the leaves of the vines etc.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
M I'll try.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
Here are the others.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Maybe just a technicality - but a Stein is a jar for drinking beer. This is a jug for serving white wine - the sloshed cherubs and the vines are a hint.

You may be on the right track when you say German or Austrian - both very much white wine countries - but France and Bohemia are also possible. The technique is amber flash engraved, a colour developed by Egermann which predates their ruby flash.  It has been used by Egermann (obviously) but also by St.Louis and by Baccarat. In view of the high quality, a high quality maker is likely.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
Ivo...thanks the information is very much appreciated. Wine Jug it is then. I bought it because the engraving is much better than I usually run across over here as well as it being something I usually don't run across often. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand