No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: victorian childs mug?  (Read 597 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
victorian childs mug?
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Hi all,I've seen one of these described as a Victorian mid century child's mug,it's 8cm ht and 6.5wd with a hint of crackle here and there,but i would say hardly used?It has a fairly flat rim and a deepish foot,any thoughts many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: victorian childs mug?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
you might be correct, approximately, with the suggestion of mid C19  -  could be wrong, but the handle does appear to be attached top down.            Any chance please that we can have close up shots of the where the handle does attach to the body.

There are known examples of pressed wares that have this combination of blue and amber, although from memory they didn't date to quite that early, and I've a feeling they weren't British..........possibly German, Belgian or French were the suggestions.            Maybe others have a better idea.            The deepish foot well might support the Continental origin, although I notice the rim isn't ground flat.           From where I'm standing the foot appears to show some evidence of a hard life  -  do I need Specsavers, again. ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »
Hi Paul,the base looks like it's been ground flat but hasn't done much sliding about and although the odd chip, again on the base ,it looks like they could have been there from the start,the rim looks like it was cut off and reheated.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
The Portieux George Sand service in these colours dates from circa 1815 but the colours have been popular until today - so there is no telling when these would have been made. What might be a consideration is that sets with a mini bottle and half a dozen shot mugs like these were very popular in German areas from about 1880 to the 1950s. I would not b unreasonable to think these have been made in the early part of the 20th century, either in France or in adjecent Germany.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Thanks Ivo,you wouldn't need to many shots to do the job with these i reckon. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand