No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Queen Mary commemorative figural glass illumination lamp, RD 566724, 1910.  (Read 1763 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
The GMB discussion at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54796.0.html
 is regarding a blow-moulded glass illumination lamp / Christmas light / “fairy light” RD 280145, a design registered in 1896 by Hearn, Wright & Co. of the Eclipse Glass Works, Lower Clapton, Middlesex.

Jim Sapp kindly gives a number of informative links, including
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/ChristmasLights.html
in which it is mentioned that
The most sought-after and scarcest lamps are "figural" in form, and these were primarily manufactured in England during the later part of the nineteenth and early twentieth century, although some earlier scarce examples can be found. The London-based supplier "Hearn, Wright & Co." had several figural forms manufactured by the Eclipse Glass Works to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. As per the advertisement accompanying this article, the forms included a "cluster-of-grapes", a "tulip" and a bust of Queen Victoria. Other highly desirable figural busts of royalty are those of Edward VII, George V and QUEEN MARY [my emphasis], the latter two being made for their 1910 coronation celebrations. Other lamp forms include various figural fruits and nuts, various geometric patterns and several styles with cameos of Queen Victoria on the sides.

Here now are some photos of the Hearn, Wright & Co. figural illumination lamp of Queen Mary. It stands 11cm tall, and the base in embossed with the legends “ECLIPSE LAMP” , “ BRITISH MADE” and “Rd. No. 566724”.  The date of registration would have between June and August 1910.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by gingerbeermaker).

King George V acceded to the British throne on 6 May 1910, George V and Queen Mary's coronation took place at Westminster Abbey on 22 June 1911, so the illumination lamp would presumably have been produced to commemorate the event.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Queen Mary commemorative figural glass illumination lamp, RD 566724, 1910.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
according to The Glass Association 'Blue Book', 566724 was registered on 15th July 1910 to Eclipse Glassworks, and this Rd. is shown in the book together with the immediately following one, thus...............       '566724/5........           both registered on the same date.

There seems the potential for some confusion here, and information given in these links, and the 'Blue Book', has left me a little confused.

The 'Blue Book' states that Nos. 566724/5 were allocated to Eclipse Glassworks, but elsewhere and in Fred's link to my pix of the National Archive data for Rd. 280145, the Registrant is shown as Hearn, Wright & Co. at the Eclips Glassworks address.
It occurs to me that others may not realize immediately the connection between what appears to be an address and a company name, but perhaps I'm making something out of nothing. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Queen Mary commemorative figural glass illumination lamp, RD 566724, 1910.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Thank you for confirming the registration date, Paul.

I agree that there does seem to be some confusion regarding the registrant's address and their earlier company name details.
Maybe the difference is linked  to the fact that the RD 280145 illumination lamp simply has the RD number on the base, whereas the Queen Mary lamp actualy says "ECLIPSE LAMP" on the base. I wonder if the company name had been legally changed in the interim or whether it was simply a change in company policy or style?

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand