No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moretti Satinato Vase?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Moretti Satinato Vase?
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »
Does anyone recognize this piece as being Carlo Moretti satinato?  It is 9" tall, and has the correct feel, color and base (clear), but the form doesn't appear in Leslie Pina's Italian Glass, which has an extensive representation of Moretti's work.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Moretti Satinato Vase?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:35:39 AM »
The only thing I can add is to check the rim. All the pieces I have, have a ground rim. IMHO if the rim is ground, then it is a good possibility. Someone may know more. Terry

Offline horochar

• Members
Moretti Satinato Vase?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:13:50 PM »
Yes, the top is ground.  I've shown it next to a familiar Moretti piece (of the type often bearing Rosenthal Netter import label).  In certain lighting conditions the colors seem identical.  In others, the piece I'm asking about is slightly more orange.  I can't tell if the line at top is a flaw or scratch.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Moretti Satinato Vase?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:16:40 PM »
I doubt the Pina book shows all the forms. From what I see here and unless someone with more knowledge comes forward, IMHO I think it very well could be Moretti. Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Moretti Satinato Vase?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:57 AM »
I agree with Terry in that it seems most likely that Moretti's range extends much further than what is shown in Italian Glass.

As a company Moretti is one of the more commercially astute Murano makers with ranges coming in many sizes and variations. That's just good marketing. I'm not saying that they were overproduced but there's enough of this out there to feed a significant collect base when that arises and I believe it should and will.

I also do not feel that slight color variations would be significant either with production on this scale. I believe glassmakers will confirm that even given the same formula glass batches will show some variation. This can even be seen with companies noted for their color expertise such Whitefriars in the UK and Blenko in the States.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand