No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible fake P Ysart?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Possible fake P Ysart?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
I can send it back as the seller describes it as Paul Ysart which it's not, so it is not as described and as such against ebay's policies.

Also the seller does in fact have a returns policy of within 7 days of receipt. I did contact the seller before it had been marked as dispatched to confirm the PY letter colours and sadly was just too late as she had posted it.  I have told her of my concerns and I am to contact her on receipt to discuss further.

Not the first mistake I've made with a purchase and I'm sure it wont be the last, must be more vigilant in future though.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

In the original item title 'Paul Ysart Vintage Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket paperweight with PY Cane' you might well argue that the words 'Paul Ysart' are being used to qualify 'Vintage', and not 'paperweight' - ie indicating the period to which it dates rather than the maker.  If it had said 'Vintage Paul Ysart paperweight', I think that would be a different matter.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Alan, I understand what you are saying but  I would argue that 'Paul Ysart...' defines the maker of the weight i.e. by Paul Ysart, and the rest of the sentence, '...Vintage Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket paperweight with PY cane' describes the paperweight date period and style and the fact it has a PY cane in it.

I would say if the seller tried to use your argument that would be a weasel description.

I check details now before bidding -  I've just passed on a  piece I really wanted to buy because the seller could not describe the 'graze' adequately enough to me and the style of vase made it impossible to photograph the 'graze' well enough to see exactly what it was.

m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
Hi m.

I don't disagree.  I  think your post illustrates the problem with eBay titles - they are necessarily compact, but there is also the 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' issue: namely the abysmal understanding within much of the population of correct grammatical constructions.

In the title in question the degree of separation between 'Paul Ysart' and 'paperweight' is enough to cause confusion, as is the introduction of the word 'vintage' directly after 'Paul Ysart'.  Various permutations of the words would have made the definition more specific. Consider for example:

' Paul Ysart paperweight Vintage Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket with PY Cane '
' Paul Ysart paperweight with PY Cane Vintage Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket '
' Vintage Paul Ysart paperweight Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket with PY Cane '
' Vintage Paul Ysart paperweight with PY Cane Lampwork Flower and Latticino basket '

All four signify to me that the item is being sold as a Paul Ysart paperweight without any room for doubt.  Whether the weasel wording of the original was intentional or not, who knows... 

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
I agree :)
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »
Off course too the situation where the seller gets it totally wrong and the shrewd buyer ends up with a quality weight for peanuts  ;)

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »
I don't know Chris because I've never bought a 'cheap' paperweight.  I've bought weights because I like them, and I've never been the only bidder unless I've bought a buy it now.  So I can't comment.

I have on the other hand bought other glass that's worth more than I paid for it.
Mainly because I have lots of books, and do lots of research and I recognised what it was but few others did.

In my opinion there is a difference between the two things. 
I paid a LOT of money for my books and I read them and know the pieces in them.  I also do a lot of research.  So the money I spent means I have knowledge that I can use to buy something.   Even having done that though, I can't remember the last time I bought a truly good piece of glass and was the only bidder.

That is not the same as selling something using words that can be misconstrued.   

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
I just wanted to make it clear that in my post above, I was responding to Chris's post as a general observation. I was not implying any particular seller had used words deliberately to be misconstrued (just in case my post was misread as such).
Thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand