No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Mdina Vase....  (Read 2417 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
My Mdina Vase....
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi there:
This was the 3rd item in a group I bought here.  I know it is MDINA as it is signed, and I recognized it Thanks to this board.  Now I am not sure what year it would be, or the pattern name of it....or if there is anything else you can tell me about it.  Is this called a vase or what?  It will be treasured here and has a new home here!!  I like all the 3 pieces of blue glass I just bought here.  They look nice grouped together!!

About 6 inches tall, and about 5 inches wide.  Pretty colors!!   ;)

Thanks for any other info.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: My Mdina Vase....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Hiya Rose,
This is a Michael Harris design, produced from early on and still produced today - it is currently called "Crystal Blue Stripe" by the factory.

But yours is a lovely earlyish one - probably mid-'70s from the script of the Mdina mark.
I don't think they produced this shape so often later on.

It's a flanged bottle. The flange is quite wide - so definitely post-Boffo arrival!

The "crizzle" effect is produced by plunging the gob of hot clear glass into cold water, then silver chloride salts are introduced into the cracks that appear. Then it is decorated with ribbons of teal glass which are marvered in and then it is cased in more clear and further blown and shaped.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand