No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: drinking glases with Hebrew text.  (Read 647 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
drinking glases with Hebrew text.
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
straight parallel sides, and about 3" (75mm) tall, with band of frosting around the upper half, on which is what I assume to be Hebrew text.
Base and rim are ground/polished flat with additional bevelling on the rim, and there are several bands of fine enamel colour encircling the glasses.          Two other bands have been gilt originally, although most of this has now been worn away  -  one or two very small white seeds showing in the glass.            Some reasonable wear on the base so not made in recent times I don't think.

Do we have anyone who can read the wording or know for what purpose these small glasses might have been intended - and perhaps some thoughts on age.         Thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robertglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • united states
Re: drinking glases with Hebrew text.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
i read hebrew and could help, however, i need a picture of the total word on each: remember, hebrew is read from right to left. let's try this. I hazard to guess these are Kiddush cups ) for blessing over the wine.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »
many thanks for the offer of help Robert.               The first three pix have been taken from right to left on one glass.....         ditto re the further three pix, which are from the other glass.              Hope this enables you to transcribe. :)

please see next post for other images.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
this is the other glass.              Presumably there's no particular way of dating such pieces, but if I'm wrong please say so, and again my thanks. :)
Looking at the text, it appears that this is different on each glass - might that be usual for such pieces??

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »
perfect. one says HAG HA'SHAVUOT (the holiday of Shavuot which marks the giving of the Torah and the agricultfural season of the first of the crops (it occurs after Passover, in spring).  The other is a cup for Passover, and it says CUP OF PESACH (Passover). From the vowel system I see these were written in Yiddish (Hebrew lettering of the Jewish germanic dialect of Eastern Europe). Thus you may surmise they are from the 50s or earlier, but I am not sure about that. Best of luck!

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »
Forgot to mention that these are, in fact, wine glasses or tumblers in all likelihood, for each of the holidays I described earlier.  :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
wonderful Robert - and thanks again for helping with these. :)                   I do in fact collect drinking glasses (tumblers in particular), so these will most definitely stay with me.
Your comments regarding the Eastern European origin of this style of text/writing, is supported by the ground/polished flat bases and rims  -  quite typical of pieces we in the U.K. see on glass that has originated from the Continent of Europe.
One of the pieces does show considerable wear to the smooth base, and whilst I appreciate that wear can be misleading in terms of dating, it does suggest, in my opinion, a date of somewhere much earlier in the C20.
However, I'm open to be corrected on that if anyone else has a more informed suggestion. :)

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
 :)You are most welcome. Care to take a look at my two last posts - id a vase and tumbler. Ivo wrote the vase is likely Polish, but if you could share your opinion I would be grateful.  :D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
My impression for date is more towards the 20s and 30s. 

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand