No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this an anglo irish Georgian preserve jam pot?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: is this an anglo irish Georgian preserve jam pot?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »
have just found the following in Miller's 'GLASS Antique Check List' (consultant Mark West).            In the section on Cut-Glass serving pieces from the Georgian/Regency period, various forms of table shapes are discussed, and speaking of butter coolers it says............."Coolers are not to be confused with preserve jars which do have feet and a cut-out for a spoon"

So, it appears that cut-outs were a feature on pieces from that period, although I'm not convinced that on this occasion it vindicates this piece as period. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
After reading all you have said i have had a look at this glass again and the only damage appears to around the hole for the spoon and the rest is beautifully made, this may sound daft and stupid of me owning thousands of pieces of glass but i soaked it overnight in bleach and it does not appear all that straw coloured anymore, i have put on some pictures of the hole for the spoon,  i think it has been added later maybe, thanks Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
The hole will have been added after the cutting, as that would be the easiest way to complete the pattern, but it will have been done at the factory I think. Any damage is likely to be from use.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
I would highly recommend using diluted enzymatic washing liquid (the biological sort) in lukewarm water for cleaning glass, before trying anything else. It will gently get rid of anything organic.

Thanks for the kind comment Paul, but I can assure you, I really am a philistine about cut glass.
I like the fluidity of hot-worked glass and lots of colour.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
quite a coincidence that I should find something similar yesterday in one of my regular charity shop type haunts - and probably one of the oldest pieces I've had from this source.
Whilst not a preserve pot, thought it of interest to show in view of the colour which more than anything else convinces me it's period - a greyness typical of glass from the Georgian/Regency era.               Lead glass and showing substantial wear on the foot, with a great ring despite being very heavy.            Fortunately, damage is confined, as you'd expect, to the extremities of the diamonds, mostly on the body  -  the lid seems to have esacped for whatever reason.              One or two small stones as usual.

This is almost certainly a lidded sweetmeat (no cut-out on the lid) decorated with mostly plain diamonds - three bands of prismatic cutting and serrations around the rim of body and lid and with what looks like a capstan stem.             Although not cut too well in the centre, the 24 point star would suggest c. 1830 - 40.                   Overall height is about 7.25" (185mm).

All the features we've discussed for these things, plus the colour, convince me of late Regency:)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »
Is greyness in glass a sign of age? If so, then I possibly passed up a very old piece earlier today.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
as a generalization - and combined with other features - then yes, it is often typical of much glass from the C18 and early C19.         Sorry to hear of your sad news ;D
The moral of the story is possibly that, if in doubt  -  and assuming not too expensive  -  to buy the piece and avoid the risk of losing something good...............   you can always give it away to a charity shop later if no good. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand