No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb 'Ripple' in blue  (Read 3261 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Thomas Webb 'Ripple' in blue
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
Paul, I meant to answer your query about the backstamp - it isn't that unusual as I have it noted on my website as being in regular use between 1935 and 1949:
http://glassyeye.com/glassmarks/webb.html
which fits in with the date of manufacture, I believe.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
hi David, thanks for the comments.

As you will know better than me, T/Webb material is often without any backstamp  -  it's a good job that a lot of their glass is recognizable :)

Thanks for the link to your GlassEye site, and I'd agree that this c. 1935 - 49 circular acid stamp with 'Made In Webb England' is one of the commonest that we see, and perhaps I was being a little nit-picking re my comments about this particular mark looking different in size and style to others from this period.
I'm still of the opinion that this mark is a tad smaller than the others, but what is most noticeable is the appearance of the letters themselves.            I've looked at several other backstamps from this period/factory, from my own collection, and they look identical to the example in your link i.e. solid letters.
However, the individual letters on this one are shown in outline only  -  they are not solid letters -  and it was this difference that caught my eye.            I've attached a clearer picture of this backstamp which I hope shows this feature.         Do you have any examples like this??

Finally, and on the subject of less than common colours.............attached is a pic of my only other piece of blue T/Webb (with the circular backstamp for the above date line)  -  and the pic shows what is possibly an even less common colour..........genuine lime.       Most definitely doesn't fluoresce (I've used the torch) - and this again has the same backstamp.            I'd assume cocktail glasses, and they're about 3" tall.
Unfortunately, I've really no idea what the surface texture pattern might be called.

So, what can you tell me about lime David. :)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Thanks Paul for the additional data:

I'm still of the opinion that this mark is a tad smaller than the others
I expect there were a few workers doing this task, so probably not just one template. Also, the template (or whatever was used - perhaps an acid resist transfer?) would have changed over the years. But I do agree that there's something a little different with it - I'd need to compare it with a known example to be 100%.

the individual letters on this one are shown in outline only  -  they are not solid letters
Could it be that more acid than normal was used, and/or it was left for a longer period?

So, what can you tell me about lime David.
Lime
... is a term referring to a citrus fruit.
... is a colour between yellow and green.

Not what you wanted? Oh, OK, I'll agree that I haven't seen that one before!  ;D

Seriously, a very unusual colour and I would also have expected it to glow under UV. Perhaps this came from a test batch? I do have examples somewhere of that size & shape. Photos will follow eventually.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
thanks David  -  I'm waiting pregnant with expectancy. ;)

Limes are a wonderful source of vitamin c, and can be addes to water, lemonade, cream soda, and provide a zest to most drinks.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
Rose's lemon and lime marmalade is my favourite!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
Lime is just weirsch- it makes my teeth curl and my whole mouth feel as if it has been scoured out with something caustic.
(I know it's acid, but the feeling is caustic.)
I cant even eat green opal fruits!
Vile stuff, Paul :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
and here's me thinking that girls north of the border were made of stronger stuff ...............can't hack it hey!!

Personally, I don't think you can beat thick cut Seville orange marmalade   -   pronounced in two syllables........marm    and then     allady
all this talk about preserves is David's fault                 preserve wildlife  -  pickle a squirrel. ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand