No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where does this type of glass come from?  (Read 597 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Where does this type of glass come from?
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
I keep seeing this type of glass everywhere, (well not in my dreams yet anyway), this i think is a little sherry glass it's only 12 cm in height, how is this controlled bubble glass made, i have no idea of maker age or origin can any one shed any light on it for me?
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Where does this type of glass come from?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
It's possible that this is something from Erickson (Erickson Freehand Glass), Ohio, States.              In the 1940's and '50's they knocked out a lot of designs some of which had this two tone (often green and white) colourway - many of which had this heavy 'paperweight' sort of bulbous base.           They were also known for producing 'bullicante' (bubbled) pieces, and much of their design incluence was taken from Scandinavia  -  believe the owner was Carl Erickson and obviously he introduced a Swedish flavour to the factory's designs, which is apparent in much of their work.

Could be wrong but had a feeling that Anita might have some knowledge of this production - or maybe Ken.            Don't know if the factory folded or is still going.         

W/F's put bubbles in via a mould in some of their earlier glass, but not sure about later designs  -  the guys who did air twists used a small wooden holder with metal pins in some kind of circular pattern before stretching the stems etc.
Would imagine jp might have a better explanation of this process.             

Welcome to Christmas Day 2013. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 02:51:46 AM »
While Erickson (1943-1961) made barware & table glasses yours is either Scandinavian or japanese imported into the U.S.  in the 60s & 70s.

Merry Xmas Paul & everyone on the board.  Ken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
Controlled bubbles are produced using a mould with prickles inside it, then casing again. The bubbles appear where it has been pricked.

I can remember what a disappointment this discovery was to a few of us oldies, when we were newbies.  ;D

I thought this glass looked a little bit Aseda-ish. But then, it reminds me of some generic Bohemian bud vases too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
..........    well, nothing quite like getting it completely wrong, is there.                I'd looked though Pina & Vigier without any joy and then saw the Erickson things.                 I suspect that it's the lack of quality in the controlled bubbles that gives it away as being more modern, perhaps. :)           

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
Paul there was absolutely nothing wrong with your logic on the possible Erickson connection because a cone shape base (controlled bubble) was used at times on bowls & compotes & candlesticks. Barware & glasses with controlled bubble bases were always on a ball shape base. Problem was the cone shape of the OP pic was not an Erickson shape. We see these all the time in the midwest (here) touted as Erickson plus small jigger type shot glasses with a ball base that are Japanese imports, the glass itself is light & thin walled not heavy at all like Erickson. Examples are below: 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand