No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Crimped Rose weights  (Read 2438 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Selkirk Crimped Rose weights
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
More for Wuff than anyone else :)

I had 2, now I have 3 :)  Brought the one in the middle at Dunstable today for £35.  PH cane in the base, pedestal, dated 1982.  Left weight is dated 1984 and right hand weight 1979.  Did we know there are 3 different ones?  Pedestals are different, and one is faceted new one isn't....

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/20140103_150228.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Selkirk Crimped Rose weights
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
Any chance you might post images directly to the board, pretty please?
Photobucket has has a nasty habit of corrupting folk's computers, I and several others simply will not click on any link to it.
Also images vanish, leaving a thread meaningless.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Sue, do me a favour.  Go here
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
click the Check Now button then copy in here what version of flash player you have.

Photobucket doesn't cause any problems.  It is a web browser based using flash, that isn't anything out of the ordinary so I would suspect you have an old version of flash.

Afraid I use Photobucket for all my pictures and my account goes back years so it keeps a record for me.  I don't find the size you can upload on here anywhere near good enough so don't upload......

Ian

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
Saying that I suspect photobucket only uses flash when uploading pictures.  The link in the post is simply to a picture and your computer should be fine handling that!

what browser are you using?  That could easily be outdated and causing the problem.  PM me if you want see if we can solve the problem....

Ian

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
The more important point is that images hosted off the gmb disappear, leaving the whole thread meaningless as far as any future reference is concerned.

As a whole, folk here far prefer images to be posted directly, it is something we are trying to encourage everybody to do, it makes it far easier for folk to help if they don't have to keep going to new links (which may or may not corrupt their computers) to see something they might be able to help with.

(My pc is ancient - cobbled together from second-hand bits and bobs. It can't cope with a load of new stuff. I'm a technosaurus, incompatible with computery stuff, I can't cope with all the new stuff.  ;D )

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
As I am not an imbecile I knew that was your point but, as I said "Afraid I use Photobucket for all my pictures and my account goes back years so it keeps a record for me."  Photobucket has all my uploaded images going back years. I don't delete images.

Afraid I won't be bending or changing my ways as they suit me.  If your computer can access this board it can sure as hell access a direct linked image on photobucket.

Sorry, but the masses rule otherwise there would be no progress.....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
"The masses" vastly prefer images hosted on the board.

Even to the point that yet another plea has recently been discussed in the cafe. Not started by me.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55105.0.html

I'm only trying to help everybody here, pass this important message on.

You may not remove or shift your images - but how is another member to know you can be trusted not to, over all the others that do?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
More for Wuff than anyone else :)

I had 2, now I have 3 :)  Brought the one in the middle at Dunstable today for £35.  PH cane in the base, pedestal, dated 1982.  Left weight is dated 1984 and right hand weight 1979.  Did we know there are 3 different ones?  Pedestals are different, and one is faceted new one isn't....
Hi Ian,

I assume you don't mind me including your image in a comparison - if you do ... >:(.

There is only one footed crimp rose in the catalogue: 1979 / LE 450.
I have an image of a similar one, with a more fancy foot: signed (= made) 1984 / LE 450 (edition number unknown)
So far I had assumed this to be the same design - just the foot becoming more fancy over the years ... but your dates contradict that.

There is another similar one: signed (= made) 1983 - but LE 250; however, the person sending me the image did not confirm the 250 (signing/reading error?) and has not responded to further queries. So I am not assuming this to be a different design.

Now you have an unfaceted one - could just be unfinished, couldn't it? Is there any indication of it being LE?

Are there green leaves in any or all of them?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Hi Ian,
Hi Wuff,

Happy New Year!!!

I have two of the weights shown by Ian. I have the limited edition footed and faceted crimp rose (1980 – 290/450 – PH cane) and an unfaceted and footed version of the same crimp rose (1980 – PH cane). I bought them together in an auction lot in Scotland with other Selkirk weights. I suspect that the collector/seller had acquired both versions at the same time. He/she had liked the limited ed. footed and faceted crimp rose so much that she/he asked for an unfaceted version too. So there may not be many of these unfaceted footed crimp roses around.

As for the third one (i.e. the 1984 one), I have no idea.

SophieB

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
Hi all,

I have now located images of my Peter Holmes' crimp roses.

The top one is the limited edition (n. 290/450) and the bottom one appears to be the same but unfaceted (also there is no star cut on the underside). Both have PH canes.

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand