No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: half pint tankard id?  (Read 647 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
half pint tankard id?
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
Hi all,i stumbled over this during the xmas break and really have no idea when it might have been made,it looks like it may glow and there is wear,the handle has a seam along the centre that stops at a groove for your thumb,it has a deep foot ring about 6mm,any info on this one would be great,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: half pint tankard id?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
I know this is a humble piece ;) and when filled with half a pint it just spills over the top,but i like it and i'm just wondering with that deep polished base it might be of  czech origin? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
The base is not polished - the item is pressed. Surplus material was removed from the stand ring, it is where the 3 piece mould closed.
I doubt if this is a half pint. Similar items were made in France, Germany, Denmark, Holland - in fact just about anywhere.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
Thanks Ivo,i don't think you get away with using it in a pub,would the green date it or could they still be making them.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
Is it uranium glass?
I believe, (but cannot for the life of me remember when I made a mental note of this - I'm fairly sure it was here, fairly early on in my time here, so maybe up to 9 years ago) that closed handles were no longer being made on beer glasses - or on pyrex jugs, which is what I remember being the context of the thread.

That might help put a latest date it, if I could only remember the date it happened... mid-'70s perhaps?  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
I suspect the green dates it to first two-thirds of the 20th C and, as Ivo says, it is of Continental origin because it is a quarter litre mug for bière blonde or such like. If it is uranium, that would move the date back a bit.

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
Pressed glass was invented in the early 1800s and became very popular by the late 1880s.  It is still being made today.  The design and the shade of green of your little mug reminds me of things made anywhere from the 1930s to yesterday, but my sense is that it would more likely be 1960s to 1970s.  A was mentioned, it could have been made anywhere in the world as the design is so generic.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
Thanks everyone,it's spurned me on to get a uv torch that i've been meaning to get for ages.

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:59:59 AM »
Ne careful with your UV light - whatever you do, do not look into it.  It really can burn your retinas if you are not careful.  You can get special sunglasses that block UV light, or you can just be careful to not satisfy your curiosity and not shine the light directly in your eyes.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice Kimo i'll make a point of it,i'm sure i've done some harm already looking for cones in high firing kilns ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand