No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with id on paperweight  (Read 1488 times)

Offline vero87

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • usa
help with id on paperweight
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
I have a glass paperweight that is signed on the the back  J.M  G (or g could be a 6?) 1996.    Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: help with id on paperweight
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:00:22 AM »
We really need a picture.   What diameter is it?  Where did you get it from(location)?

The problem lies in the marking.  While your example may be particularly clear, in many cases it is not, and what you think can be quite different from the truth.  For example Sean O'Donohue from WA signs slightly differently just about every time I find a piece of his.  Another artist signs BCG, or a stamp with a tree, rising sun and three bars, or ЯК where the two vertical lines are joined, or Rob Knottenbelt.  All are the same person and while I know that it is from experience - having examples of each.

The range of knowledge is phenomenal on the GMB and there are likley to be people who recognise the actual signature just by seeing it.

If you are uncertain about posting pictures consult the reference section at the top of the GMB Index page.  Instructions are clearly given there.  Good luck - oh and by the way welcome to the board you will find it to be a great resource if you like glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vero87

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • usa
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
Ok here are pics !  It measure aprox 7in from base to base.  I found this recently at a thrift shop.
Thanks for input

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »
I have an image (source??) of a somewhat similar design (though in green) signed "JMG 94" (though with a different "hand"). There is also a label "Métiers .... Québec" (shop label?). Could be a hint ???.

If you send me a mail (giving me your direct mail address) I can send you the image for your personal use.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:39:35 PM »
Good photos Vero.  I don't recognise the maker but my instinct says the JMG = J.... M....... Glass.  So I would be looking for a maker whose initials are JM, or who works at a location which creates the JM.

In the example I gave BCG = Brittania Creek Glass as he lived at a place called Brittania Creek.  Similarly one of Australia best Pwt artists Colin Heaney lived ay Byron Bay and his common mark for small pieces was CBHG = Cape Byron Hot Glass.

Sorry I can't help directly but Wuff seems to have a start for you.

Ross

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
There is also a label "Métiers .... Québec".
Searching the web I came across Métiers d'Art du Québec:
"After the death in 2009 of the legendary glassblower Jean Vallières, this location, formerly a workshop and museum known as Verriere La Mailloche under his watchful eye, was taken over by a nonprofit association dedicated to preserving Québec-made glass and the art form itself."
The initials don't fit, though: another glassblower working there - or do they buy in from outside?
They also have their own web site and could possibly answer your question.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand