No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass bowl help please  (Read 449 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Glass bowl help please
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
Hello can anyone help me with this date etc, it's not English and has heavy wear to the inside and outside of the glass and heavy wear to the base, i think it's too big to be a wine rinser, i know the fern leaf design was common between 1860-90 but i have a salver with a similar pattern dated to 1770 ish with a very similar design, there is no pontil so i'm not sure how it was made. It's 5 inches across the rim, 3 1/2 inches in height and 2 3/4 inches across the base. regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Glass bowl help please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »
How do you know it's not English? I would suggest English or Scottish and Victorian, when Pteridomania was at it's height. That light engraving of ferns is very common on Victorian glass, particularly seen in Scotland in my experience. Looks like a finger bowl or a dessert bowl and not deep enough for a wine rinser.

It was cut off at the rim after foot application (the punty being at the other end of an oviod to the foot) and then heat treated.

If your measurements are exact, I think you can rule out the Continent

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Ok, It does not sound English, really dull when tapped, i have a lot of fern engraved glass and this seems very crude for Victorian they are normally pretty precise and detailed, well at least the ones i own, i'm not sure if old Scottish glass has a high lead content or not so it could be Scottish?
Chris Parry

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »
I'm not sure you can used lead content as a determiner of origin!! Scottish glass covered the full gamut of qualities and has a 400 year history - I edited the book http://www.scotlandsglass400.co.uk/data/book.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »
The fern theme is post-1860ish and has been used in France and Denmark a lot - just like the UK. There is no telling where it was made - I would guess the age between 1860 and 1900.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand